Thursday, February 21, 2019

How To Make A Wood Bracelet Using Proxxon Tools

                                   

     Hi everyone! My name is Colleen and I'm new to the design team!  I'm excited to get know everyone and share some of my projects. I've got a lot of scrap wood and I thought I'd try making  jewelry from some of it!

 
     Here's a list of tools and supplies I used for my bracelet.

Starting with a piece of scrap poplar that's 2 1/2" x 1 3/4" x 3 1/2"


I marked off every 1/2" and drew my cutting lines. I then came down a 1/2" and marked off where I needed to drill the holes for my elastic cord.


Using the Proxxon Bench Drill Press and an 1/8'drill bit , I drilled 12 holes. One one each side of the soon to be slices.


Using the Proxxon Micro Bandsaw I then sliced my bloc apart into 6 slices.


Each slice now has the holes in them for the elastic cord.


I decided that in order for the bracelet to lay nicer on my wrist that I needed to miter cut the edges of the longer sides. I set the band saw table at a 25 degree angle and trimmed each piece.


You can see from this picture that by cutting those edges at an angle, it's going to fit together nicely.

 

I wanted the corners of each slice to be rounded so I free handed a little curve and sanded them off using the Proxxon Disc Sander.


All of my pieces are now sanded! I laid them out next to one of my bracelets and realized I only needed 5 slices. I'll save the extra one for a necklace!


I then ran the elastic cord through the holes and placing one of the 8mm beads in between just to see how it looked then took it back apart for staining.

   

I chose Varathane stain in the Golden Oak color. I stained each slice the reassembled everything. Here's my finished bracelet!  Hope you enjoyed my little project!!!


   

1 comment:

Carol Wulf said...

What a neat idea. Cool project and it looks fun to make. thanks for sharing.