Friday, July 19, 2019

How to make a simple bread knife

Hi everyone.  It's me again, Carol, trying to improve on something wherever I can.  Here is today's story:
We have fruit trees!   Lots and lots of fruit trees and this has been an abundant, or rather super abundant year for fruit.   Well this is great of course, but by necessity leads to jams and jellies.   Well I spent the whole day making peach jam which turned out beautiful, but then ....OMG no bread in the house, so no toast  and it's raining and ..Well I finally quit whining  and made some bread.  So  I made the bread and it's all good, but my slices are, let's say, less than perfect, some fat, some thin.   I decided I will prepare for next time and make a knife that will let me cut perfect slices all the time!👍        Pssst.... that is my knife in the picture...


This is a simple project, made even simpler because I have Proxxon tools which are just perfect for this project.

Supplies and Equipment.

1/2" thick  2" x 12" piece of wood.  
7 1/2" cutter  
(this can be the cutter from the saran wrap or a piece from an old bandsaw blade)
2 small screws
Proxxon rotary tool with small drill bit
screwdriver
strong wood glue, (I used water activated gorilla glue)
  
Here is the plan I made for this project.   
The first thing I did was to draw out my pattern measuring with my Kapro measure mate 313.
I used the Proxxon mini bandsaw to cut out my pattern.

I used an old bandsaw blade as my "cutter".  Using pliers I just bent it where I wanted it to break and it did.    I laid it on my newly cut "bread knife and outlined where it would lay.



Using a cutting blade on the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander I cut out a shallow groove for the blade to lay in   (see below)  The oscillating cutter worked great!!



Next I laid the blade in the grove, If you lay the knife on the flat side the cutting side will be facing down.   Then I glued the small pieces we cut on top of each end and clamped them until it was good and dry.  



Using the Proxxon professional rotary tool and a small drill bit, I drilled a pilot hole through the little piece directly over where the sawblade lay.  ⮟  This happens on both ends.



Then I screwed a small screw into each hole.   This hits the sawblade square in the middle and makes it tight. Tighten it firmly, but don't overdo it.


Now everything gets a good sanding using the OZI/E delta sander.   All corners and rough edges are removed easily.   I then applied a butcher block sealer as this is food safe and will protect the knife.



Bring on the bread! Using my knife now my slices are 3/4" thick, everyone of them.  


You know that was easy.   It took me longer to tell you about it than it took to make it.  
This is an easy beginner project.  I hope you enjoyed it.  

Thanks' to Proxxon, those tools are awesome!
Thank you all for visiting.   Catch ya next time  Carol

8 comments:

Misty said...

Carol your blog is using something broken,
and making it useful.My favorite thing taking
something useless and making it into something helpful.
Very good blog and it works great.
Nice job.

David said...

gghgf

David said...



Such a nice & useful post. Really happy to see such post. I have come to know about many new ideas. I will try my best to implement some of them. Thanks.
How to Use a Dremel to Cut Glass?

David said...


it is really helpful. the information in this article is satisfied me. And the information it is very interesting. Thanks for this kind of article.

How to Use a Dremel Tool?

David said...


Awesome story! Congrats on the successful team work!

How to Carve Wood with a Dremel Tool?

Terri Sproul said...

wow, I love this idea. Thanks for give us amazing ideas to use with our Proxxon tools!

Barbara Moore said...

Now that's a clever and useful idea! I would like one myself!

alex said...

Great post.

https://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/user/13229-kennethreeder/