Friday, July 5, 2019

How to make a simple ruler box

Hi everyone!
Here it is early July and guess what?   I went to the store today and they were selling "back to school supplies" already!   Well, seems a little early but I am one for a bargain, so when I saw they were selling rulers for 25 cents I figured I could probably use them for something, so I got me "some".  By "some" I mean 12, but I only used 10 for this project. 😜     Today I am going to show you how to make a little hold it all box for whatever you got that you need to keep together.

 Let's start with what you need.

Supplies and equipment:

10 cheap little rulers (or 3-4 yardsticks)
A thin piece of board  ( I used hardboard) , measuring 12" x 6"
wood glue, 
small wood clamps




The first thing I did was to cut my hardboard to size.   I used the Proxxon mini table saw to do this.  I love the smaller size saw when working with smaller material.  Note I am using the fence for this rip cut.  This keeps my cuts square.




I am going to leave the long sides of my box at 12" So they are all ready to go. 
 I cut my short sides to 6"   No measuring needed, just cut at the 6" mark on the ruler 👀 I use the miter gauge here for my cross cut.



At this point I decided one ruler height was not enough so I glued 2 together to make them taller.  I did that for all my pieces.   I used some wood glue and clamps, and added a little weight to keep it flat and let them dry well.



Once everything was dry I used glue and clamps to build the box.  I glued the sides to each other and to the hardboard piece I am using as my bottom.   It may be a little shaky at this point but we are going to add some dividers and this will strengthen the whole thing.  I used clamps to hold everything securely while the glue dries.



The dividers are more rulers cut to 6" lengths, and glued together for height .  Then these are glued into the box.   You can space them anyway you like, or as you need, for whatever it is you are going to put in there.  Add some cross pieces if you need more little cubbies.



Now that the box is done and it is quite sturdy, fill it with whatever you like.   

Cost to build less than $3.00  Time to build about 1 hr, minus drying time.  Usefulness?  you decide.   But as always, I had fun building it and sharing it with you.  Thanks for visiting.!!!   Carol



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol you did it again love this idea can use for a many different things and so easy Thanks and keep up the with the great ideas bj

Misty said...

I thank you also for making this box. It has proved
invaluable to me as somewhere to store my earrings.
I have a large jewelry chest on legs where most of
my things are stored. Since I have your hanging
frame with my favorite necklaces right next to my dresser
mirror,thought the box belonged on my dresser with
many of my favorite earrings in it.
Is it beautiful? No ! but useful you bet your
bottom dollar it is.
Thanks for the idea. Keep them coming.Love it!

Barbara Moore said...

Hey Carol, I love this idea! Really looks neat too. It can have many uses too.

Carole Lassak said...

Very cool project!!