Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Life is better in Flip Flops

Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here today with a Summer Project.  We all know that Summer is better in flip flops so I decided to create a  project featuring flip flops, the best Summer accessory.  With so many Proxxon tools available to use, this project came together quickly.


I drew the flip flops on a wood panel, being sure they were joined in one spot.


Using the Scroll Saw, I cut around the pattern.


I used the Bench Drill Press to create the holes for the twine.


The Disc Sander was used to sand the rough edges.


Then I used the Delta Sander to sand down the edges that the Disc Sander couldn't reach.  This is a great sander.  The design allows you to get into the smallest of spaces.


Now the design was ready, I painted it with Plaid Folk Art paint in Pale Yellow.


Once dry, I used a stencil with Fireworks! Shimmery Craft Spray in Tangelo.


I wanted some more texture and dimension so I placed a floral stencil from The Crafter's Workshop on the flip flops and used modeling paste.


Once the modeling paste had dried, I replaced the stencil and spritzed it with Fireworks Shimmery Craft Spray in Lilac Posies - love this color!


Nothing screams beach like sand and sea shells so I created sea shells from Makin's White Clay and a push mold, then added them to the flip flops surrounded by mini art stones and string.   I used Mod Podge Spray on Adhesive to adhere these elements and added a sprtiz over them to seal them.   Finally, I used a small Adventure stencil from The Crafter's Workshop with modeling paste above the shells and some dew drops from The Robin's Nest about the flowers.

Thanks for stopping by.





1 comment:

Carol Wulf said...

I really liked how you used modeling paste to add dimension and interest to this piece