Friday, February 7, 2020

How to make a Valentine's day door hanging

Hi everyon
e.   Well here it is again..., Valentine's day.   Let's get cracking and make a little door hanging for you and or your spouse to hang on the door just to let them know you love them.



Supplies and Equipment


First thing I did was to draw a heart. Then I added the "names" to each side.  Mine is generic, hence, "you and me", yours would be much nicer and more personal if you did you and your spouse's names  Remember that we are going to cut this in half like a puzzle so keep the names on their separate sides.


I transferred the pattern onto the wood and in the picture below I am cutting out my heart using the Proxxon mini scroll saw.  So easy, I just follow the line I drew.  



Note the puzzle like line going down the middle of the heart.  We are going to cut the heart right down the middle to make 2 puzzle pieces.  I want the 2 pieces to be separate but I also want  to be able to put them back together and have them stay there.  


Now I am going to sand the edges using the Proxxon disc sander.   Boy that makes short work of that.  When I finished with that I used Proxxon's OZI/E delta sander to smooth everything.



I next used Proxxon's Mini drill press to make holes where I can "sew" the 2 pieces of the puzzle together.  Mark your spots with the heart together so you know they will line up properly.


I painted the halves separately using Plaid paints.  The colors I chose were: cardinal red 414E,  white 2503E,  gold dorado 4033, sterling silver metallic, and black.  How you paint is entirely up to you.
When the paint was good and dry I sprayed it with Krylon crystal clear sealer which gave it a glossy shine and will protect it.








Now  I am going to use my long 1/4" piece of ribbon to tie the 2 halves together.  
To finish it up, I used the 1/2" ribbon to make and loop and tie a bow to the top for a hanger and we can call it all done!

Thanks so much for visiting.  I hope your Valentine's day is an especially good one.   See you next time.   
Thanks to Proxxon, (awesome tools), and Plaid, (awesome paint)!!
Carol

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the idea you are so good at this keep up the great idea bj

Misty said...

How sweet Carol, it is very pretty.I
love the fact
that it laces together.
Great Idea. Keep them coming.

Nell said...

A great project for Valentine's Day. I love the idea that it's a puzzle. You always do a great job with all your projects. You really know how to use those little Proxxon tools.