Friday, February 21, 2020

How to make a cute little plaque using the Proxxon rotary tool with the router base

Hi again, Carol here with a new project.

Today I want to show you how to make a cute little plaque using a couple of Proxxon's nifty tools that I haven't really used much before now.  Introducing Proxxon's professional rotary tool and it's accomplice, Proxxon's router base attachment. This project will show you just how easy these tools are to use and what you can do in just a couple hours.  This is definitely a beginners project.  I have never used the router base attachment on the rotary tool before this project so as a rank beginner I will show you how easy it is.   I think with just a little practice, you, and maybe even I, could make something awesome.









To get started let's collect our equipment and supplies:

1.  I used a piece solid  birch wood measuring 1/2" x 7" x 10"  just about the size of a piece of notebook paper.   I had it lying around as a cutoff from a previous project, but if you need to cut a piece to size the  Proxxon mini table saw would make short work of that.

2. Proxxon professional rotary tool equipped with Proxxon's router base attachment and a straight bit.  In the picture above you can see Proxxon has a nice assortment of bits that come as a set.

3. Plaid paints:   I used Bright magenta 20591E,  True Blue 101,  Yellow lemon 226, Concord grape 20595E, Orchid blush 4623, Nutmeg 944, Vivid orange 2904, Light flesh 229, Spring white 430, Bimini blue 2142E, and Shamrock 21479E.


5.  Sealer of your choice,  I used a 2 part resin..


This project actually started with a dream I had a long time ago.  I woke up one morning and was trying to remember what I had dreamt that night because I knew it had been so happy.  All I could remember was I had told someone that I was happy as a pig in peanut butter.   I loved that saying so much I wrote it down and have been saving it for a project.   Well now is the time   I chose the little pig you see in the picture because he does seem to be quite happy and pleased with himself.  🐷


In the next step I added my saying and then using transfer paper I transferred the picture onto my wood.



I adjusted the Proxxon rotary tool in the router base to cut at a depth of about 3/16" and simply followed the lines I had drawn on the wood.  Except when I got to the piggy's face I decreased my depth a little bit so that my lines would be much narrower.  Big fat lines would not work on his little face.  

That was easy and fun too.
Now we paint! Plaid paints are my choice!


I just painted my colors inside the grooves I made with the router.  If the paint gets outside the lines, no worries, the next step will clean it right up.

I used Proxxon's OZI/E delta sander to sand the whole thing.  Sanding removes any stray paint that has gotten onto the plaque.   Be sure to sand the edges and corners to round them over a little bit.


I used a two part resin to finish this but spray sealer would work just as well.  I'm practicing with resin for a future project so stay tuned.  So now the project is complete and ready for the kid's room.   I surely enjoyed making it.The piggy and the sentiment still make me smile.   Till next time, thanks SO much for visiting!.  Thank you Proxxon tools and thank you Plaid paints.   These two companies make me happy as a pig in peanut butter!   Carol 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so cute thanks for the idea bj