Saturday, May 9, 2020

Dollhouse: How To Make Hardwood Floors From Popsicle Sticks

Hello, my name is Candy Rosenberg.  I am known as "A Vintage Girl," in the craft industry.  However, I recently became a member of the Proxxon Tool Design Team, I got my table saw and sander last week. I am new to the rabbit hole I call my new obsession, dollhouses, and miniatures.  I was wondering how I was possibly going to make tiny things without tiny tools, well that is where Proxxon comes in.  These tools are just as strong and durable as their larger counterparts and make a hobbyists work so much easier.  Here are the two tools that I received to share with you, the Table Saw EFT and Delta Sander.
I will be sharing my dollhouse adventures the second Saturday of each month, looking forward to throwing down some serious projects!



I am in the flooring stage of my dollhouse, a Colonial-style house that I purchased pre-built on the main structure.  The walls, stairs, windows, and doors were all in a bag.  This allows me to work on the walls and flooring before putting walls up.  I know I want hardwood floors pretty much throughout, so off to my Dollhouse Facebook Groups for some research.  Popsicle sticks and coffee stirrers were the answer.  So many different ways to do it, but you do have to cut off the rounded edges.  The Proxxon table saw is perfect for this task.

This is a quick 2-minute video showing you the actual cutting of the popsicle sticks to see how easy and fast it was to create the pieces for the floor.  


This is my current dollhouse, I have 5 more in boxes ready to go after this one.  It is a large one and is a Colonial style.  We will be working on the floors, paneling for the walls and shutters for the windows next.  So be sure to come back the second Saturday of each month to see what I have accomplished.


In all my research, because I will be honest, I am new to dollhouse construction so I had to find information on how best to do the hardwood floors.  One of the key elements is to put it on something then put in the dollhouse so that you are not stuck with it forever.  This is my first try, so bear with me.  I grabbed a Fedex envelope because it is so thin once you cut it open.  I used this for my template.




Using Beacon Adhesives Timber Grip wood glue, I applied the pieces of cut popsicle sticks.  Remember to sand down the ends first.


Start laying out your pattern.  Most popsicle sticks have varied colors so keep that in mind as you apply them to your template.




There are many more steps once you get the floor down, there are so many options for finishing it.  This photo is from Meaningful Mama, a dollhouse blog.  Mine will not be finished for several weeks, but I will be sure to share it when it is done.
Best DIY Dollhouse Furniture


Thank you for stopping by and welcome to my Rabbit Hole!

1 comment:

Carol Wulf said...

I can't wait to see what you do next. Your floor came out looking like a real hardwood floor in miniature. Nice job.