Friday, May 1, 2020

Easy to make garden hose organizer

Hi everyone.
     Hey, I had a little problem this week.   I was working in the garden and decided I should lay down my soaker hoses for later in the summer when it gets so hot and the garden needs some water.   We have planted some tall "crops" this year such as climbing beans so we have standards and cages in the garden.  This makes watering by spray difficult.   Ok that is the background.   The problem was that the hoses are in a tangle and unless they are straightened out they won't work properly.  Planning ahead for fall when I will need to put them away I decided I should straighten them out now and plan something better for putting them away this fall.   So here is the project.  I made it super simple but it works great.   And it was so easy using my Proxxon tools.  I must admit I use them just about everyday for any number of things.


Here is the final project

Let's see what we need to get started.

I used wood scraps.  The pieces need to be at least 3 1/2" wide and 12-13" long
2 wooden dowels about 12" long    (diameter1/4"-1/2")
drill with drill bit the same diameter as the dowels.


I cut out a big "H" shape from my wood piece.   I made the channel about 1 1/2" wide and left about 3" in the middle.   I used the Proxxon mini bandsaw.   Took about a minute as there is no need for fancy measuring.   Shown below are 2 of them.   I made 4 for my 4 soaker hoses.   Once wound up they will stay on my new "contraption".  😀
  

As you can see in the picture above I drilled 2 holes where I will insert my dowels.   Note that the dowels are just outside the middle area.

The dowels fit quite tightly, which is what I was aiming for.  I want them secure when I am using the contraption but I want to be able to slide them out also.  Do not glue them.



   
I used the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander to take off any splinters.  I like my wood smooth.


To use this thing, just slide the dowels in the holes so that they are equal on both sides.   Secure the end of the hose as seen below and wrap your hose round and round.


Next I used a piece of cord to tie it tight.   Then Iyou can remove the dowels and use them on the next hose winder thing we just made.  You probably guessed but the dowels are just there when winding to keep the hose from slipping off itself.    After removing the dowels and tying it up the hoses store flat and will be easy to lay out in the garden next spring.


Little by little I am getting things organized.   I love using my Proxxon mini tools to make useful items.  

Thanks for visiting.  I hope you found this helpful.  You can also use this idea for storing long extension cords when not in use.   I enjoyed this project and am pondering my next project.  Hope to see you back soon.   take care...
Thanks to Proxxon,   I couldn't make stuff without your nifty tools!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

carol this is the best idea yet love it bj

Nell said...

Great idea. We can never be too organized

Misty said...

After years of having our
soaker hose all sort of
wrapped in a pile, this
is awesome a fix. So tidy.
Love it.