Friday, September 18, 2020

How to make a simple but attractive napkin holder

Hi again!    Hey, today I have a really, really, simple project.   But I think it came out looking good and it's functional.   I think it could also be a nice gift.   You know,, Christmas is less than 6 months away. 

Taa Daa.... Napkin holder.


Supplies

1" x 6" x 12" piece of wood
wood glue
6 small wood screws
paint or stain

  Equipment

Proxxon mini drill press with small drill bit
wood clamps
screwdriver


The first thing I did was to cut my pieces to size.   Using the Proxxon mini table saw I simply cut my piece of wood in half making (2)5 1/2" x  6" pieces.   Then I used the proxxon mini table saw to rip one of the pieces lengthwise so as to have a 2"x 5 1/2"piece and a 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece    (6" lumber is actually only 5 1/2"  wide-Crazy but it is just how they do it  )




I drew some simple designs on my front and back pieces that I want to cut out. 


  Now, if you are making a gift for someone you can personalize it.  A fish for a fisherman, or perhaps their last name for a family.  

I cut my designs out using the Proxxon mini scroll saw.



With my cutting complete, I sanded everything smooth using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.   I just love this little tool.  It gets into every nook and cranny.  


Next I used some good wood glue and glued it together. I used 2 wood clamps to hold it tight.   Note that the front and back are on the outside of the middle bottom piece.   It just looks better and gives more room for the  napkins. 


After the glue dried, I took it over to the Proxxon mini drill press and drilled some pilot holes so that I could add some screws to strengthen the joints.   3 in the front and 3 in the back;


Using Plaid paints I painted the inside edge of by birds, clouds and sun.   Just to add a little color.
Of course paint went where it shouldn't, but all it took was a little bit of sanding using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander after it was good and dry to freshen up the edges.


Then I sealed it with some water based poly urethane.   Now if it gets dirty at the table it can be wiped off without affecting the wood or paint. 




All done...   Hey look it can also function as a small book holder.  






Wasn't that easy?    I think it looks good, and I needed a napkin holder.   Project took about 1 1/2 hrs.   I bet you could get it done in an hour.   (I had to take pictures as I went  📸😊)

I thank you so much for visiting.  Thanks Proxxon... love your tools.   Carol

2 comments:

Nell said...

This napkin / book holder, came out great. You are so creative and I love all your projects.

Steph Ackerman said...

Love this!!!