Thursday, December 17, 2020

How to make a little birdhouse Christmas ornament

 Merry Christmas everybody.   🎄It's almost here...🎅  But while we have a little time, let's do a quick and fun little project.   I'm going to show you how to make a cute little birdhouse ornament that you can add to your tree.  

                                   

 

Equipment and supplies
1/4" scrap wood of your choice  I used cedar scraps
pencil and paper for pattern
Proxxon mini band saw
Proxxon mini table saw
Proxxon OZ//IE delta sander
wood glue
small wood clamps
small eye hook
Proxxon professional rotary tool
Paint and decor of your choosing.

I made a pattern for you↓ 


     

This will make a birdhouse 3" tall
So the first thing to do is to cut out all your wood pieces, ((Don't cut the roof pieces out just yet)   I did this on the Proxxon mini band saw.  


Next, cut out the roof pieces but leave them attached at the middle (so they are one piece)   we will cut those out at the Proxxon mini table saw.  We want a 45 degree bevel where the roof pieces meet.  It can be done on the bandsaw, I just want to show you how to do it on the Proxxon table saw.
First thing we do is set the table saw at a 45 degree tilt.



then run the piece through using the miter gauge.   this gives us a 45 degree angle on both our roof pieces.



Now we have all our pieces cut and we can assemble. But first let's sand them.  This is done easily using the Proxxon OZIE delta sander.  I love this tool.  😃  Male a small hole for the birdhouse entrance and another hole below it where you can insert your dowel (perch).




Slather some glue on all the edges of the walls and floor where the pieces will meet.   Note that the  "sides will be on the inside of the front and back.   Adding the floor which is inside the 4  walls will help keep everything square.  Use small clamps if you have them to hold it all while it dries.  




When it is all good and dry,, glue down the roof pieces.



Now decorate how you like.   I cut a Christmas tree using the proxxon scroll saw and painted it  with Plaid paints.  I did a little wood burning and added some faux snow.  Personalize it and give it to a friend.  What a cute little gift.



I think I will make a village.  ... in my spare time.  
Well, thanks for visiting.  Thank you Proxxon my favorite tool people.   


Everyone stay safe so we can do this again    Carol



1 comment:

Misty said...

Adorable Ornament, I also
agree it would make a
darling village. Added
a different one every year.
Love your ideas,
Merry Christmas