Thursday, June 3, 2021

How to make a crab bank

 Hello again.   Time to make something.  I thought and thought about what we should make and all that thinkin got me crabby.  Ha ha, what a lame lead in, but anyhow, today lets make a crab bank.  A nice little place for all out loose change.  

I learned in the process of making this bank that there is an easy way and a hard way of doing it.   I chose the hard way because, well just because the easy way did not dawn on me until I was just about finished.   I will show you my way, but if you are wise I would read on through to the easy way  that  I will show you in the end.

The first thing I did was to make myself a pattern.   I used some various items to draw the different diameter of circles I would need.  I used an oatmeal box, a coffee can, and a smaller toffee can.

  
Using the oatmeal box as a guide I draw my circle on the Plexiglas.  Before cutting it out I want to drill the holes that I need to fasten it to the next piece.  This is easily done using the Proxxon mini drill press.



I finish my holes then cut out the Plexiglas piece using the Proxxon mini bandsaw.  Note, I am leaving the protective paper on it for now,  I don't want it getting scratched up.

I cut all my circles according to my pattern (see above) and set them aside for now

Then I cut all the rest of my pattern pieces on the Proxxon mini bandsaw as well.


I used the Proxxon cordless hand held belt sander to sand and add texture to my legs and claws.

Next I painted everything bright red!  Crab color!

Now time to glue this up.  It goes like this.  The front piece, then the 2 spacers and then the back piece.  When I is dry you can attach the plexiglass to the front with 4 small screws.  (this is how you get your money out later)  I used the Proxxon cordless rotary tool with a small drill bit to predrill my holes.

Let the layers dry overnight

Now I have a fat ring.  I drilled 2  1/4" holes about 1/4" deep in the top of my ring in the middle section.  And I drilled 1/4" holes about 1/2" deep into my 2 1" wood balls.  These will be the crab eyes.


I attached all the arms and legs with glue and small dowels.  It was so wobbly, but I did get it done.  BUT, there is a better way.   When cutting the crab's inner circles, add the arms and claws to the middle circle.   It will be much easier and more stable in the end.

Use this pattern.  

I had fun building this.  And I already have a start for my vacation fund.  Another 10-20 years I'll have enough to go somewhere.    Thanks for visiting.   Thanks Proxxon, I enjoy your tools.

Till next time  Carol




2 comments:

Nell said...

Another cute project. I love your ideas.

Misty said...

What a adorable bank.
Looking good Looks like it
would appeal to most an child.
Neat Like it a lot.
Keep it up!!