Thursday, May 20, 2021

How to make a portable laptop stand

 Hi crafty people.  Don't know about you but springtime in Arkansas has a lot of rainy days.  So I've spent a bit more time on my computer.  You know I get stiff hunched over it and although it might be good for the lap, it is awkward on the table top.   I need a little room and a better angle for typing.   So, let's make us a solution.  Today we will construct a laptop stand that is functional, lightweight, and easily portable.   And... lucky us, it is a breeze to make with my Proxxon tools.  


For this project I am using some 

 3/8" cedar wood

Proxxon mini bandsaw or Proxxon mini scroll saw (actually I used both),

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander

Proxxon cordless belt sander

pre-stain and sealer


I started with a piece of cardboard that would help me figure out the dimensions of my wood pieces.  


then made a plan for you.  My lap-top is 17"   measures  15" x 10" 

The cut in the middle is important.  It needs to be just a tiny hair larger than the thickness of the wood you are using.     I have a trick that makes it easy that I am going to show you a little later.  

Mark your pattern on the wood and cut them out.   I used the Proxxon mini bandsaw for the straight pieces and the Procxxon scroll saw for the delicate work.   There was some areas to cut that would not clear the throat on the bandsaw, so the scroll saw fit the bill

Note in the last picture \, that the base is not sitting flush.   I didn't quite make my slots long enough.   Here comes my little trick.   Introducing the Proxxon cordless hand held  mini belt sander
It is about 3/8 "- 1/2" and fits in my slot like a dream.   In just a short minute I made my slot just perfect.  And it is smooth too.  

I sanded everything super smooth with my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  Cedar wood is so beautiful when polished.  A little pre-stain then some sealer and it looks great!
This photo does not do it justice.  It came out really pretty, almost a shame to hide it under a computer.  It is very sturdy. but easy to take apart and throw into your computer case on the run.  





So easy and customizable.    I really enjoyed using the Proxxon cordless mini belt sander.  It's a sturdy tool and gets the job done.  It is the newest toy in my collection.  Thank you so much Proxxon.   And thank you all for visiting;.
will catch you next time.  Meanwhile, play safe!   Carol






1 comment:

Misty said...

This is a very useful item to own.
Stays in place, easy and holds
your computer safe and easier
to work on.
Very helpful
to those of us who have to work
on one long hours.
nice work