Thursday, May 6, 2021

How to make a sliding chicken toy

 Hi everyone.   I was recently looking at an old magazine and got inspired by some vintage paper projects they were showcasing.  The patterns were made to be cut out of some sturdy paper, and kids could color them with crayons or paint and then play with them.   Thinking to myself,  I could make some of these using Proxxon tools and thin wood.  Not sure if kids would play with them as they are not very modern or techie, but I know for sure, that I would have fun making them.  

Equipment and supplies

Proxxon mini scroll saw, or Proxxon mini bandsaw, or both if you are really blessed.  😀

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander plus plunge saw blade     

Proxxon mini drill press

1/4 inch plywood scraps

short length of 1/8" dowel       

Plaid paints             


To get started make a copy of this picture, enlarge or reduce it to the size you want.  The second picture is another pattern of a mama bird feeding her babies.



Transfer the design pieces onto the plywood scraps
Before cutting out the pieces use you Proxxon mini drill press to drill 1/8"  holes into the  designated areas  (A,B,C.D)  Doing this first will hopefully keep the thin wood from cracking near the edges.

OOPs, I took a picture of the mama bird from the other pattern.  (Pretend it is a baby chick)😏
 



 then cut them out using either the Proxxon mini bandsaw or the Proxxon mini scroll saw.   I love my Proxxon bandsaw but I believe this is better done on the Proxxon mini scroll saw.

                                                                                           



Sand them all good with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander  


We  need to make a little slot in the chick where we will place his wings.  

I used the cutting blade on the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander to make my slot and it worked really well.  When the slot was finished I inserted the wings.


Grab the kids and let's paint.  Use plaid paints and you will not be disappointed!
While the paint dries....
Cut 4 dowel pieces approx 1" long. 

Next we just put it all together

Insert the first dowel into the  hole marked A in the bird and the A- hole of the slider.
Do the same with B, C , and D.
Gently pull the slider back and forth to see the birds dip their beaks into the water trough.  

Wasn't that fun?   I hope you enjoyed it, I did.

Thanks you for visiting!!

Thank you Proxxon tools!  Smaller precision tools make crafting so easy and relaxing.

Carol


.  


                                      

1 comment:

Nell said...

Great little toy and good instructions.