Thursday, June 17, 2021

How to make a custom wood box without measuring anything

 Hi everyone.  I have a good project for you today, easy and stress free.



Let me tell you why I chose this particular project.   I take art lessons and am currently working on a pastel picture.  Well, I have to take my supplies to class and the pastels I have came in a flimsy plastic thing I won't even call a container.  See below.


I took it to class but first dumped them in my car, then dumped them again in class.  If I am going to tote them back and forth I need a sturdier container.

First of all, I enjoy making boxes, but I was rushed this time and took some shortcuts that actually worked out well.   This project features the Proxxon mini miter and chop saw, as well as the Proxxon mini table saw and of course, Proxxon's OZI/E delta sander.


The first thing I did was trace around the bottom of my plastic thingy I wont call a container, then cut it out for the bottom  In the picture below I am using the Proxxon mini band saw to do my cutting.



The next step was to mark the height of the sides.  I didn't want to measure so I simply put the plastic thingy next to the wood I would use for side and made a line for the height


I cut slats of wood the height I just measured on the Proxxon mini table saw.  I made them as long as the wood was and will cut them to size next.


I laid the plastic thing beside the wood and marked where the corners of the plastic were, then took the wood slat over to the Proxxon mini chop saw,  The marks on our wood will be the short side of the mitered corner.  I set the miter gauge to 45 degrees, then placed my wood slat with the sides up into the holding slot and cut my 45 degree angle. I made 2 of these for my long sides then repeated the process for the short sides.





Now I have all my pieces cut and it is time to glue them together.   I made a glue bead around the bottom and where the sides met up  with the bottom and clamped it all together.  If you have corner clamps this is the time to use them. I used a lot of clamps.  



When it was good and dry I turned it over atop another piece of thin wood and traced an outline outside the sides for the top.   I cut it out using the Proxxon mini bandsaw and attached my hinges and latch to form a lid.
My plastic thingy fit nicely inside to hold my pastels.  Mission accomplished.  Looks pretty good and is very functional.  



Thank you all for visiting,  Hope this tutorial is a help in someway.  Remember you can customize the size of this to what you need.  Proxxon makes these small projects easy.  Thanks Proxxon.   
Till next time, play safe  Carol




1 comment:

Misty said...

I love this idea.
The box turned out great.
Easy too. Keep it up.