Thursday, October 14, 2021

How to make Toast grabbers

 Hi again,   Hey I have a new practical project for you.  Lately I've had a craving for raisen toast, so I made me some.  Got 3 loaves out of the recipe so... well thats a lot of toast.  Trouble is the sugar in the swirls gets so hot in the toaster and the bread is fragile.  Plus,I got tired of burning my fingers.  So, I made these toast grabbers.   Meanwhile, I got the Proxxon engraving set and was dying to try it out, so I made the toast grabbers and had a canvas of sorts to try out my new Proxxon engraver.  Let me show you what I did.

Equipment and Supplies

3/8"" hardwood   2" x 12"

Proxxon mini bandsaw    or Proxxon mini scroll saw   Either will work

Proxxon disc sander

Proxxon mini drill press

masking tape, 

small piece of 3/8" dowel  (about 3 inches)

6-8" of strong string

Drill and 3/8" drill bit

Proxxon engraving set

Let's get started.
Take your wood piece and using the saw of your choice create 2 pieces measuring 3/8" by 2" xc 6"
I taped them together, then using the proxxon mini bandsaw rounded off the edges of one side.


Then I took it over to the Proxxon disc sander and smoothed it out some more
I left the 2 pieces taped together and put them in a vise to hold them tightly together then drilled a 3/8" hole between the 2 pieces.  This left a half hole in each side.  See pictures. 











 Taking one piece of the wood I placed it into the slot on the Proxxon engraver and use the little Proxxon step vice to hold it securely.   Following the directions arrange your letters, set your size ratio and engrave your words.   Check it out.





I used a permanent pen to help the letters stand out.  I think it looks good.   Not bad for my very first try with the Proxxon engraver.  



Next

Place the small dowel piece between the wood pieces and retape them together.   Using a small drill and the Proxxon mini drill press drill 2 small holes through the wood pieces and the dowel. 




Take the string and lace it through the holes and tie it tight.  (green arrows below)  This is your pivot point.   
Now go grab some toast.


Thanks for visiting.  Till me meet again, go and check out the Proxxon tool website.
Carol

No comments: