Thursday, September 30, 2021

How to make a kitty cat gourd bowl using Proxxon tools

 Hello again.  As promised I made another project using gourds and Proxxon tools.  I have been doing gourd projects for many years and have never found a better line of tools to do the work.  The tools are smaller and easy to handle yet have the power to tackle the job.  Anyway today we made a kitty cat gourd that I think you might like.  And it wasn't hard to do.  

Equipment and Supplies.

1 nice gourd that will sit well as a bowl.  (In other words it has a flat bottom or can be made to sit flat)

Proxxon mini jigsaw

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander and Proxxon mini bandsaw  (optional)

Plaid paints  Lots of different colors.

Proxxon mini torch or woodburner   + press abd seal + sharpie pen (optional)

Cat pattern or your choice of pattern that will fit the gourd.

gourd cleaning tools.   ie- any thing that works.  scrapers etc.

gloss spray sealer.


Let's get started.

The first thing I did was to get my pattern onto my gourd.  I use press and seal plastic wrap, a sharpie pen and and proxxon's mini torch as a  wood burner to transfer my pattern.  I traced my pattern onto the press and seal with my sharpie pen then laid the press and seal on the gourd and woodburned my pattern otno the gourrd.  You could use a pencil and simply draw your pattern if you prefer. 


The next thing I did was to cut off the top of the gourd.,  I didn't do any fancy cutting yet because I will need to clean out the gourd and I don't want to break any small pieces off.   I cut the gourd top off using the Proxxon mini jigsaw.  Note the adjustable speed dial in the first photo below.  



Next I want to cut out the top of my bowl.  I used the Proxxon mini jigsaw again.   This works so well since I can slow down the speed at the intricate parts.  I have connected parts of the picture so as not to have to cut too deep into the bowl.

Using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander and my new proxxon cordless belt I sander I can get in all the nooks and crannies and mke everything smooth.  


Next it is time to paint.   This took a little while but was fun.  Plaid makes so many colors sometimes it is hard to choose.  


That is it.  I sprayed it with a little krylon crystal clear gloss to make it shiny and help protect the paint.

thanks for visiting.   Thanks to Proxxon and Plaid for awsome products
Till next time play safe    Carol












No comments: