Thursday, September 16, 2021

Making A Crock Lid

 


Making A Crock Lid

Using Proxxon Tools



Hi everyone!  Today I'm featuring how to make a simple crock lid.  I have a large 20 gal. crock in my living room that I need a lid for.  I wanted to turn it into a makeshift end table.  I also have been wanting to try vinegar grain painting so I'll show you that also.  Follow along to see how i made it :-)



Supplies:

   Proxxon Micro Band Saw MBS/E
   Proxxon Disc Sander TSG 250/E
   Pine, Plywood, or MDF ( I used a bigger pine circle that I had on hand)
  
   Vinegar Paint ( recipes can be found online )
   Spar Varnish
   Various Brushes Or Sponges


First I laid my wood on top of my crock and took a marker and traced the crock top. I just happed to have this large circle of pine but it was to large for this project so I'm cutting it down




Next moving to my Proxxon Micro Bandsaw.  I cut out my circle.




After my circle was cut I moved to the Proxxon Disc Sander. I sanded around the outside edge of the circle then I tipped the table of the sander and sanded a curved edge on both sides.










I sat the circle on top of crock to see if it fit.




Now I'm going to show how I vinegar grain painted the top.  This is my first attempt at doing this.  There are many patterns you can do but I wanted to mimic tiger maple. There are many recipes for vinegar paint online.

First I put a base paint on the raw wood circle.  The base color was a yellow ocher. I used a good wall paint. Instead of buying a big can of paint you can have mixed up a sample jar.  I put on 3 coats sanding in between. 






After paint is completely dry you can move on to the vinegar painting. Mix up the paint and brush on over the base paint. You need to work fairly quick before the vinegar mixture starts to dry.





While the mixture is wet you can drag a brush or any tool to make a design in the wet mixture.  You can wipe off while wet and redo till you're satisfied. When completely satisfied let dry.






After vinegar mixture is dry, using a brush coat with a Spar Varnish and let dry. The varnish really  brings out the faux graining.



Here's my finished lid on my crock. I love the results and will be building other pieces that I can do this paint treatment on. 






Thanks to Proxxon Tools and thanks for following along with me .... Colleen :-)























 


No comments: