Saturday, June 10, 2023

Building An Arbor





Hi everyone!  We've had a lot going on here at the Colaizzi homestead.  We had a new deck put on our new pool.  There was a lot of scraps leftover of the treated lumber and I asked the builder to leave everything in hopes I could make something from them.  I thought I'd try building an arbor that will eventually be put in front of the gate to my garden.  Follow along with me and see how I built it with the help of my Proxxon tools.

Supplies:
 Treated lumber... 2x4s, 2x6s, 1x2s
 Lag Bolts  8 (3.5" long)
 Screws...1.25",  3"
 Brad Nailer and Brads

I had treated 2x4s that I cut with my miter saw but these could easily have been cut to size at the store you purchase the wood at.  I started with 2 pieces 7' long and 2 pieces 24" long.  I measured down 4" from the top and 8" from the bottom on the 2x4s.  These marks are where I put the 24" pieces and screwed them together. Using the Proxxon Table Saw, I then cut a piece of 1x2 lumber 63" long. I inserted it inside and nailed it in with the brad nailer.  This piece formed a ledge for all the lattice to lay on and get nailed in with the brad nailer.



I used the brad nailer for all the vertical and horizontal pieces but later I used small wood screws at the intersections.  Repeat this and make two sides.

Using the scroll saw I cut two 2x6s  60'long.  These will be the headers that will connect the two side panels. I drew a design on each end of the headers and cut out with the Proxxon Micro Band Saw.



 

I laid the two sides on end on the ground and laid the headers across measuring in 9" on each end.  These got attached with lag bolts.  Once one side was complete, I flipped it over and attached the back side.  Now the arbor was able to be stood up.




Next the corner brackets were cut out of 2x6s using the Proxxon Band Saw and attached with 3" screws to the upper corners.



At this point I ran out of 2x6 wood so I do have to add the back braces when I get more wood...I did attach the front corner braces with 3 1/2" screws.






Lastly I cut 8 pies of the 1x2" slats for the top using the Proxxon Table Saw.  These were spaced out across the top and attached with small screws.







For now It's finished until I can find the wood for the back corner braces. I am eventually going to stain or paint it, but treated lumber needs to dry before putting any finish on.  Thanks for following along with me as I made this fun project :-) 
Colleen





















 

No comments: