Sunday, August 13, 2023

Making A Nautical Trade Sign Part 1

 



Hi friends!  Today I'm starting kind of a lengthy project.  I'm designing and building a nautical trade sign to hang on the wall. I'm splitting it in 3 parts because each element is a project in itself.  The first is cutting and carving this whale. The second will be a ship and the third will be a wood sign with carved elements to mount parts one and two on.  Follow along with me.  Lets get started  :-)


Supplies  

   Proxxon  2 speed Scroll Saw DS 460
   Proxxon Cordless Belt Sander  BS/A
   Proxxon Power Carver
   Proxxon Precision Rotary Tool FBS 115/E
   Clear #1 white pine board   1x8x6
   Wood Glue
   Brad Nailer


First, I started by drawing my whale directly on the pine board. This was some pine I had left from another project. 


Using The Proxxon Scroll Saw, I cut out the whale.






Now the fun begins!  Using the Proxxon cordless belt sander, I began to round off the edges. I also used the Proxxon rotary tool and Proxxon power carver for details.









Next using the Proxxon rotary tool, I worked on the eye.





Lastly. I cut and carved the flipper.  I laid a small piece of wood on the whale and drew what I felt would be the appropriate size.  Using the scroll saw, I cut out the flipper.  I used the belt sander to round off the edges, then I attached the flipper to the lower portion of the whale with wood glue and a brad nail.










This part 1 is complete except that it will be painted when the other two elements are finished.  

Thanks for following along with me.  Stay tuned for 2 more segments to this project.
Colleen :-) 





 









































No comments: