Friday, March 30, 2018

How to make a cute little welcome spring sign

Hooray !! Spring at last.  Let's put aside the winter blues and celebrate life's new beginnings!!

Today lets work on a cheery little sign, reminding us (in case we forget), that spring has sprung!




This is an easy project, and every time I look at it I smile, because it reminds me that, the grass is getting greener, the birds have returned and warm sunshine is bringing life back into my bones.

Let's get started:

Supplies and equipment:

1/4" thick wood of your choice
wire
wire cutter
rotary tool with small drill bit.
krylon easy tack
glue
tiny eye screws (6)



First thing I did was to draw a pattern.  I made it the full size I wanted so that I could transfer it directly to the wood I am going to cut.  I used krylon easy tack to affix it to the wood.  I used plywood for the sign part and poplar for the little birds, as the beak being long and skinny, might be a bit fragile. I oriented the woodgrain to be parallel with the bird's beak so that even though it is very thin it won't break easily.


Next I cut out the pieces and sanded them smooth.   I like to round over the edges a little bit so they don't appear so flat.  This is easy with the proxxon OZI/E detail sander

Sanding the pieces using the proxxon OZI/E detail sander


Cutting out the pattern with the proxxon scroll saw

Then I painted the pieces white so my colors will be bold.  I used Plaid's color shift paints for the hummingbirds. Light will reflect off them like butterfly wings.  I used some dimensional paints on the "welcome" and "spring" parts.  Painting is up to you.  Whatever you like.



I drilled small holes in the top and bottom of the birds and the top of the "sign" in two places where I will insert small eye screws.
Next I cut some short lengths of wire and bent the ends into hooks.  I hooked it around the eye hooks and squeezed the loop shut so it won't fall off.  I twisted some wire for a decorative loop and fastened it end to end onto the top of the birds.  This will serve as the hanger.  





All done and ready to hang.
I think it is cute and it was fun to make.
Hope you all have a nice spring.  

Thanks to Proxxon  and Plaid, for the supplies used in making this project.  Thank you also for visiting.  Have fun, and make something that makes you happy!   See ya next time,  Carol

5 comments:

Barbara Moore said...

I think this is a very cute project Carol! So pretty too. Welcome Spring!!!!

Misty said...

I really like this project and now am going to
ask you. . . can it live here?
What a cheerful little welcome to people entering
our house. Very nice work as usual.
Good directions and well done.

Frank said...

This is nice. If you paint both sides of the cutout pieces, it would be great to hang in a window.

Insane Artist said...

Really nice idea, beautiful birds, what a nice way to welcome people into your home.

Insane Artist said...

Another colorful fun project. I love it.