Friday, March 16, 2018

Let's Celebrate!!

Time to Celebrate !


It's always time for celebrating something.  With holidays and birthdays, I thought it might be smart to make some décor that can be used many times during the year.  Kids are going to love this...because it involves CANDY!  And you are going to love it because it is all set and ready to go at a moment's notice.   And it is special, because you made it special!   It's also really fun to make!

Let's get started

Equipment:                                                             Supplies
Proxxon band saw                                                 1" thick pine board  (I used some scrap cut-offs)
Proxxon OZI/E detail sander                                 3/8" wood dowel
proxxon scroll saw                                                 wood glue
kapro 313 measure mate                                    plaid paints  (your choice of colors)                
drill and drill bits                                                    adhesive spray
                                                                               spray gloss/sealer

I'm all for easy, so the first thing I did was put my computer to work.  I used a program called "word" to create a font and size that I liked for my project then printed it out.


I used adhesive spray to affix it to the board.   Spray the board and wait a minute until it gets sticky then put your pattern down.   I found that it comes off pretty easy after you are done cutting, but just in case you can always hit it with a little heat from a hair dryer to loosen the hold.




Now comes the fun part!   I really enjoyed cutting the letters out using the proxxon band saw.  It cuts so smooth and is very quiet.  It puts me in Zen mode.  But, always be careful, watch where your fingers are at all times.



To make the interior cuts I brought out another Proxxon tool,



This is one of my favorite tools,  the proxxon scroll saw.  Actually the whole project can be done with this tool alone if you don't have a band saw, but I really liked the smooth quiet way the band saw was cutting.  To do an interior cut, first a pilot hole must be made.  I used a drill to make a hole then threaded my scroll saw blade through it and made the cut.  It's so simple, just follow the line.



WOW, look at all my letters!!   I really was in Zen mode.  LOL   I made letters to spell out "Happy"  "Birthday" and "Easter", because Easter is just around the corner.  When I get in the mood again I think I will cut out, "New Year", "Valentine's day" "Thanksgiving"  etc....   You only need a single "Happy".   In just a minute I will show you why.

  I sanded them all using the proxxon OZI/E detail sander
to get in all the nooks and crannies.



           




               Painting:   This is entirely up to you.   I went wild with my Plaid Paints.  I first applied a coat of white paint.  I found this makes the colors look brighter, then painted my letters keeping things bright and festive.  Then I sprayed them with krylon   triple   thick krystal clear to add a shine.


I cut 2 pieces of my pine board to fit the height and length of the words I made (Easter and Birthday)
(Happy does not require a board)   I painted these black as they will be background. then glued the letters to this board

Using the proxxon bandsaw again I cut 5 pieces of 3/8" dowel to approx. 1" long.  I set up a fence to help make them all the same.  These are the pegs I am going to attach to Happy. 


On  the bottom of each letter of Happy I drilled a 3/8" hole approx. 1/2" deep.  I glued my pegs into these holes and left them to dry.



Next I used my kapro measure mate 313 to find the center (of Birthday and Easter) so I could put my Happy in the middle.   Happy is going to sit on top of Birthday or Easter.


Then I drilled my 3/8"holes that the pegs will fit into.  I also drilled a 1/8" hole in the top of every letter where I can place lollipops.   Note.  A proxxon mini drill press would work great here to get the holes straight and the perfect depth.  I have a  proxxon drill press on my wish list.  

Also Note:   the kapro measure mate 313 has a neat little tool that comes with it that measures diameter for you.  I used this to get the right size drill bit for my dowel.



Okay now, choose your celebration.  Pop "Happy" into its place.  Get some lollipops or candles if you wish and make some little, or big kids happy.
  

  
PS.  Make it even easier on yourself, let the kids paint the letters..  :)

Catch ya next time   Carol

Thanks to all of our sponsors that make this blog possible, proxxon tools, kapro measuring tools, Plaid paints and craft supplies, and Terry Sproul, our mentor.  Creating is so much fun !!!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

really good idea and I really like the colors just right for any special day bj

Cindy said...

This is such an awesome idea Carol! What a great way to make any occasion festive and fun! And you're right little and big kids will enjoy it. This is a project that will stand the test of time too. You can use it for many years with all kinds of other decorations. I love it

Misty said...

I love this Carol. It is so very festive
I can see it as a focal point at any celebration.
Just perfect for a child's birthday party.
Or as the center piece for a Easter Brunch or
just décor anytime during the Easter celebrations.
Happy any holiday or special occasion.
Great work and Idea.

Unknown said...

So pretty such bright colors little kids are going to love this. Great job

Terry B said...

I was fortunate enough to see this in person. It is so cute and festive. Everyone needs one of these. Your instructions were well done and easy to follow. Great great project Carol!

Insane Artist said...

I luv it, you can use it for many magical moments. It could easily be adapted from children's themes to adult themes.Wedding shower, rehearsal dinner centerpieces, or anniversary milestones. Uses are limited only be your imagination.

charlotte fletcher@roma land woodcrafts said...

How fun! I paint and design patterns, and just got a bunch of blocks accepted for publication, this year. Of course, I am lazy and just painted them on wooden blocks. Lol Nice project.