Friday, March 2, 2018

Let's Play!, but first let's make a backgammon board.

Precipitation Clip Art

It's raining again !    I could be blue, but I just made a backgammon game and this gives me a good excuse to stay inside and play awhile! 

Proxxon tools and my new Measure Mate 313 measuring tool made making this project a challenge that I could meet.


Supplies needed:


The first step was to measure everything out.  Kapro's measure mate 313 made this really easy.  It is a triangle shaped straight edge with 3 different rules on each side.  Check it out!






I used the full width of the board and cut out  two lengths of 15 " each for the game board pieces  using the proxxon mini table saw.


I measured out my layout for the board using the kapro 313 measure mate  I made the triangles about 3/4 inch wide at the bottom and 4 inches tall.  Leave a 1/2" space in the middle of the board and measure from there. This will leave space on the side for the channel which holds the pieces.    Here is the basic layout:   I penciled it in then used my woodburner to define the lines. 

                                                          Now is the time to paint the board your choice of colors


I measured and cut  the top, bottom, and side surround pieces from  lengths of board I cut to 3/4"  wide.  The top and bottom are 15 1/2" long   (cut 2)   the sides are 5 1/2 inch long  (cut 2).  I cut the long strips on the proxxon mini table saw then cut them to length on the proxxon band saw.




Next they are cut to length and painted

Then they are glued and clamped to the edges of the board and left to dry well








I made the playing pieces by cutting the 3/4 inch wood dowel on the band saw.  I made a stop block/fence and clamped it to the table so that I would get even thicknesses for my playing pieces. I sanded them using the proxxon OZI/E detail sander  Then I used a two part epoxy to affux my pennies and dimes to the top of the pieces.  This is optional.  I did that to make them shiny and different.  It also added a little weight to the pieces.  I painted the penny pieces with plaids burnt sienna on the sides and bottom.  The dime pieces were painted with plaids light flesh color.  They will be sprayed with gloss spray.




I finished up making the side pockets for the game pieces and dice, measuring as I went.  Be sure your game pieces are going to fit in the slots.   Paint, glue, and clamp those dividers in.  These are the 1/4" slats we cut earlier.  







I added 4 small hinges so that it would be sturdy.  I placed them evenly using the kapro 313 measure mate centering ruler.     I added a small clasp on the front side to secure the game board when shut.   The outside was painted burnt sienna.   I decided I wanted to try martha stewart's textured roller to give it the look of knotty wood.  This was easy to use.  It's one swipe across the board with a secondary color.  I chose black this time.  It looks great!   Not sure it shows up so well in the picture as it really looks.  




All I need now is a little spray gloss, and time to dry.   That will give me a little time to find someone to play with.    It was a little challenging but a lot of fun.


Thanks to ProxxonKapro, and Plaid for their support and sponsorship of this blog.  They have great products that makes "making fun", fun and easier than you might imagine.  I had fun with this project and hope you will as well.   Remember to make it your own. Create a one of a kind for you or someone special.   Till next time...  carol














8 comments:

Misty said...

I am impressed with this project. I know it took a
lot of time and work. It has turned out really great.
I love the colors and the board. excellent work.
The measuring tool looks like it is really handy for
a project like this. Like the addition of the coins
makes it one of a kind.
Like I said am impressed.
Your love of wood and tools shows.

Unknown said...

We used to play backgammon all the time. Great job. Love it

Insane Artist said...

Really neat, makes me want to learn to play. This board looks so good, like it came from a high end retail store.

Terry B said...

This is so cool. Jim loved to play backgammon what a great idea . Instructions easy to follow. Kudos Misty

Misty said...

Terry this is Carols blog I could not do this way above my talents.
I used to play a lot of backgammon as well loved the game.
Thanks for looking at the project

Anonymous said...

Carol you have done it again this is really great The tools that you are using look just right for a job like this bj

Nell said...

You did a great job. Something to have fun with. You do great work !

Cindy said...

What an awesome project Carol! I really like it even though I don't play backgammon. Just super super nice piece!