Friday, October 19, 2018

How to make an extension cord organizer


Hi, and welcome back.   Carol here with an organizing idea for you.  I don't know about you but I have a zillion extension cords.  (and I need them all.  I do...but not all over the place... if you know what I mean).    Anyhow, perusing the internet I saw a nifty idea someone had posted with hooks and a pivot and.... Well there wasn't any instruction with it, so today I am going to take it upon myself to make one of those, but with my own tweeks and show you how to do it.  It is going to be really easy..  The hardest part for me is going to be finding that little bit of wall space I need to hang it.
  Ok let's get going.

Supplies:

1" x 6" x 36" pine board
1" x 2" x 36" pine board
6 bicycle hooks
1 1/2" screws (12)
4" lag bolt
wood glue

Equipment:

Drill
Drill bits
Screwdriver



OK, here's the cutting plan.  Each little square represents 1"  Shaded areas are waste.







I used the Kapro measure mate 313. to do my measuring.  I like how it sits flat on the work surface and the measuring part lies right on the work surface.  In the picture below I am determining the center point of the width of my wood piece while planning my project.  The centering side of the ruler comes in very handy.  See how it measures 2 3/4 on each edge of the wood. Zero marks the perfect center.



I use the proxxon mini bandsaw to make my cuts.  No set up required on this tool.  Just follow the lines.  Easy and fast!


The cutting was easy and now I have all my pieces.  Next step is to sandwich the middle piece in between the two sides.   I used wood glue and clamps to secure it.  Later I will strengthen the bond with a few wood screws.


When this is dry I place the long piece in the hole left by the shortened middle piece.  Make sure the long bar has room to swing without hitting the middle.  This is important for later.  I clamped it there then drilled a pivot hole through the 3 pieces.


Long bar will be inserted in the gap  and the hole will be drilled where you 
currently see the lag bolt  The bar should swing freely when the bolt is through all 3 pieces.




On the long bar I first predrilled some holes then screwed in my hooks approximately 4 1/2" apart.  I did leave a larger space on the last one because I have a really long extension cord so it would have room, being so bulky.

Be careful not to put any hooks where it will interfere with the swing of the bar.  You need to be able to extend the bar straight out and also the bar should hang perpendicular to the hanger part.  

My next step was to attach it all to a board that I will be able to screw onto my wall.  I used a 12" long piece of the 1" pine.   I first glued it, then added some screws to strengthen the bond.  I also added a few screws to my holder to make it stronger as well.


Attach it to the wall.     See that tiny nail at the end of the holding piece?  That holds it horizontal while I load my cords.   



Now the cords are loaded, I take out the nail holding pin and lower my arm.  The cords are separated and will not get tangled.  They really take up much less space, sitting nicely against the wall, and I am neither walking on them or tripping over them.   I'm going to make a little one for the household cords, when I organize the pantry closet.  😚



What do you think?   I am thrilled that the cords are tamed! and... even better, I don't have to untangle them every time I need one.   It was fun and very easy to make!

Thank you all for stopping by.   Thanks Proxxon for having such neat and easy to use tools.  Thanks to Kapro for making measuring so much easier, and Thanks to Terri for letting us do this.

Till next time.   Be have fun and be creative    Carol



7 comments:

Misty said...

This is such a nifty idea for us with so many
extension cords everywhere. And does not take up
much space.
I bet it would work for spools of wire as well.
Well done, and looks and sounds simple enough.
Great job.

Nell said...

This is such a useful project. Who doesn't need to tame their cords. Mine are all over and under and tangled under my computer desk. Thanks for a great project !

Terry B said...

What a great idea. Everyone needs one of these! The cords are everywhere and you can never keep them from being a tangled mess! Thanks Carol!




















Unknown said...

Great idea enjoy all your and Misty ideas. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Cool idea, my cords are a mess...thanks.

Cindy said...

Great looking organizer Carol! Very creative and great tutorial.

Andrew James said...

Good job! Can you provide a tutorial like this about voltage surge protector?