Saturday, October 27, 2018

Another Decor Project that you can make yourself!





I have really been in the gourd crafting mood since I got home from this past Gourd Festival which we went to in Alabama.  I found this special gourd that just spoke to me and I had to bring it home.

The Supplies needed for this project are: 

Alcohol Inks
Q-Tips
Small pieces of t-shirt fabric
Wood burner and Pen
Small wooden stand
Small piece of Cholla cactus
E 6000 glue
Kamar Varnish



I started out with a raw gourd that had been cleaned on the outside.


I drew a line that I wanted to cut out. I used my Proxxon Professional Rotary Tool to drill a pilot hole in the gourd and used my Proxxon Jig Saw to cut around the line.


This is what things looked like when I opened it up. Yuck, gourd guts as I like to call it. I was lucky and the guts of this gourd were pretty easy to clean out. That's the part of working on a gourd that I hate, the cleaning.


Here's a good picture of the insides after cleaning.


I got a little ahead of myself with the prior picture but once the gourd was opened up and cleaned I drew oak leaves all around the gourd and wood burned them. I then used this filigree bur to cut around them.


I used this sanding burr that I got from Proxxon Tools to sand the edge all around the top of the gourd. I then used the alcohol inks to color the leaves, the body of the gourd and also the base. I used Plaid paint to paint the inside of the gourd and also around the top. 


I used my Proxxon Band Saw to cut my piece of cholla cactus down to size. Then I used my E 6000 to glue the cholla cactus to the gourd and the cholla cactus to the base.

Here's the final product! I love Fall colors and Fall leaves and I think they came together very well on this piece. I hope you like it as much as I do. Take a look at all the tiny tools that www.proxxon.com has for you to purchase and also www.plaidonline.com and the many products that Plaid has to offer also. 


Barbara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool! What are you going to put in it? Fall Flowers would look nice or the usual Cornucopia stuff would work. I like it! Marsha

Carol Wulf said...

Just in time for Thanksgiving I love the colors. so fall'ish, warm and homey. Nice work

Unknown said...

Looks great!

Misty said...

Very nice Barbara, love the shape and the
colors nice design. As always great work.