Friday, October 5, 2018

How to make a scary cat decor for the door






Hi again.    Well, Halloween is coming so its time to decorate the door.  For this project I chose a black cat.  I love how a scrawny old cat will hunch up his back to look all bad.

  This project really highlights how easy it is to use the Proxxon scroll saw.   There are a lot of zigs and zags in this pattern but it isn't at all difficult. The Proxxon scroll saw makes the tight turns easily.




Supplies:

12 x 12 x 1/4" piece of plywood.
bendable wire
Plaid paints  I used black white, red, green and orange
spray adhesive
paper for making a pattern

Equipment:

pliers
Proxxon rotary tool with small drill bit

Now to get started:

The first thing I did was to draw my pattern.  I drew it on a piece of paper.  

A confident person could draw it directly on the wood.  😛

Next I used some spray adhesive to temporarily stick my pattern onto my wood.  It will be secure there until I am finished.   This makes it so easy to cut it to the shape I want.  Just follow the line.  What could be easier?


When that is done I remove the paper.  Any stubborn paper can be removed by warming it up a little with a hair dryer.   


I was lucky mine came off easy.  Now I have a wooden cat silhouette


Sand it all smooth with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  It gets all the nooks and crannies easily.



Time to paint:
black cat with white eyes       now with scary eyes

I added my little poem after I painted a little piece of wood orange.   and used my Proxxon rotary tool to drill two small holes in the cat's tail and two in the little sign and attached it with small pieces of wire. 

Lastly, I drilled a hole in the cats back and attached a wire for hanging.  Now he lives outside on the front porch wall next to the door.  If he scares the kiddies...I might get some leftover candy....😀
Of course, I'm just trying to save the little one's teeth. 

Ya'll have a fun Halloween.  Be safe, I want to see you back here again next time.
      Carol

Thanks to Proxxon, Plaid and Terri







5 comments:

Misty said...

Carol I love your scary Halloween cat.
Crouched to attack. lol
Great for the door or as a sign. saying
Stay Out!
As always great directions.

Anonymous said...

Carol this is so cute and the poem is fitting for the cat thank you from all of us that are not creative enough to think of something for ourselves bj

Cindy said...

Carol, this really is a scary cat! I love it and I love the tutorial too.

Nell said...

Perfect Halloween cat ! Great job, Carol

Terry B said...

Well I am not a Halloween fan, but I do love this cat! Great job Carol!