Friday, December 7, 2018

How to make a climbing santa

Greetings!!
        ๐ŸŽ…Christmas is on the way now and it is time to decorate the house. ๐ŸŽ„  Once upon a time I saw a little toy lizard that would crawl up the wall when you pulled on it's strings.  In my Christmas mind I imagined Santa crawling up the wall to my house.  That is what we will be making today.  Proxxon makes the perfect tools for crafting  Good sturdy tools sized down just perfect for crafting.  Follow that link above and check out those tools...……..Christmas is coming.....hmmm perfect wish list items can be found there.๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ


 Supplies and Equipment:
1/4" plywood scrap (big enough for your Santa pattern)
Stick or piece of wood for "my house piece"  top anchor
2-3 yards of string, twine, or yarn
plastic straw
4 wood beads  (optional)
hot glue gun and glue
scissors,
eye bolt, string or piece of wire for the hanger.





I chose this simple Santa picture because his arms were stretched upward and I felt this would work well with him climbing.

I used some spray adhesive to affix the picture to the wood then I used the proxxon scroll saw to cut it out.  the pattern is easily removed.  If it gets stubborn a shot of hot air from a hair dryer or heat gun will do the trick.





Sand all the edges well.  This is easy with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander  the triangle shaped head gets into all the tight places.




Time to Paint







I first painted the santa all white.  I have found this make the colors more vivid.   ๐Ÿ–Œ           It is always fun to paint for Christmas.  Plaid makes beautiful colors and they go on really smooth. 






Use the glue gun to glue your straws to the back of Santa's packages.  Tip the straw about 20 degrees pointing in at the top.
.




I painted "my house" on a piece of wood I had on hand.  In the center I used an eye bolt.  this is where it will hang on the wall.   You can use string or a piece of wire but it needs to be in the center.  This top piece will rock when the strings are pulled and this is what makes santa climb.    I used the Kapro measure mate 313 to find the center of the hanging piece.  This measuring tool makes finding center and even spacing easy to lay out.  The other two holes will be for santa's strings.

Tie the two strings to the top piece, thread them through the straws and attach a bead at the bottom.  (so santa won't fall off).     Alternately pulling the strings will cause santa to climb to the top, relaxing the string and he will slide back to the bottom.  Wrap the string around the package and he will stay put.

That is it.   Little kids seem to love it.   But isn't that part of Christmas? getting Santa to do what you want?   Thanks for visiting.   I hope you and all yours have,  a wonderful Christmas.   Thanks ProxxonPlaidKapro , and Terri.         Catch ya next time......Carol

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That is just so neat Carol! I know children and adults alike would like to have a climbing Santa!

Anonymous said...

Carol that is so cute the Santa looks like it could come down the chimney bj

Nell said...

Awww, this is such a cute idea. Great job designing and painting this project.