Friday, December 21, 2018

How to make a spinning top

Hi kids of all ages, thanks for visiting.   Let's make a super simple fun project today that all ages will enjoy.  With Proxxon tools and Plaid paints this was super simple and I think it came out great!   I plan on giving it to the little girl next door but I have been playing with it since I made it!  No doubt, I am a kid at heart and still love to play, I think we all do!


Equipment and Supplies

Drill 
5/16"   1/4"  and   1/16"   drill bits
compass for drawing circles
scrap wood-  I used 1/2 inch pine
1/4" dowel approx. 5" long
string or dental floss

Let's get started:
The first thing I did was to draw 3 circles on my piece of wood.  I made mine 2"  1 1/2" and 1" diameters. They can be bigger or smaller, your choice but should be descending in size.   Be sure to note the exact center on each circle. 

 Next I cut them out using the Proxxon band saw which I had fitted with their thinnest blade.  This makes cutting tight corners and arcs super easy.  You could also cut these out using the scroll saw if you prefer.  I just love using the proxxon mini band saw whenever I can.  Truthfully it cuts like butter!

Next, using the proxxon mini drill press I drilled a 1/4"  hole in the center of each circle
(just for fun I made another top from an acorn cap, that is what is seen in the picture below.)  Same principle for both and BTW the acorn spins well too.



I wanted my tops to spin fast so I made a launcher for it.  See the pattern below.  It was also cut on the proxxon mini bandsaw.  



Drill a 5/16"  hole through the upward fork tongs (side to side) so that the dowel piece easily fits through the hole.  The dowel needs to slide in and out easily.


Paint it all pretty.   I used Plaid paints, blue pink and purple as a base coat then painted it with Plaid's glitterific colors for crazy sparkle and bling.  Boy does that paint sparkle!!


Sharpen one end of the 1/4" dowel.  Not too sharp... remember the kiddies will be playing with it.
Then shove the dowel through the holes in the 3 circles.  The smallest circle will be nearest the point.  They should fit very tight.   If not use a dab of glue to hold them.  

  

Slip the launcher onto the dowel (opposite side of the point) and mark the center.  Using the proxxon mini drill press and vise gripper, make a 1/16" hole through the dowel.  To begin winding the top you first slip the string through this hole.



Tie a loop onto the end of the string as a finger hold.    Wind it up and it is ready to go.  Holding the launcher with your left hand slip your right finger into the loop.  Hold the launcher tight, pull the string quickly and watch the top go.  It spins a long time and the glitterific looks really cool!  Watch the video below.




Was that fun? or what?   I love it and I think the kids will too.   And trust me it was a whole lot easier to make it than it was to write these instructions.    😁


Thanks again for visiting.  Thank-you ProxxonPlaid, and Terri.  
See ya next time.    Carol

3 comments:

Nell said...

WOW, Carol, I'm impressed ! You really came up with a great project. It's glitterific for sure !

Cindy said...

I love it! Pretty neat stocking stuffer too. I know lots of children would love to have one of those tops.

Anonymous said...

Carol that made me go back about60 years spinners were my chose to play with thanks for the flashback to a fun time oh it looks great to bj