Friday, August 16, 2019

How to make an original wooden spoon

Hi everybody.    Today I want to show you something.   We can take an old piece of wood and make a spoon out of it. I'm not kidding!!  Ho- Ho, how crazy cool is that?   Well, ok, it's a spoon, but we are going to make it and we are going to personalize it anyway we want to, and it is going to be fun.    Let's get started.


Tools and equipment:
A piece of wood measuring at least 3 x 3 x 12  (longer is great)
Curved wood gouge
Butcher block sealer.

Optional:
Wood burner for decorating
piece of leather for tie
Drill and drill bit to make a hole in the spoon.



Alrighty then.   First step  Grab you a pencil and your hunk of wood



 On the top of the wood draw your spoon from the top view. 
Note, I made mine curvy so as to be unique.



 On the side draw the spoon shape again as seen from the side   see below


I am going to cut both these outlines out using the Proxxon mini bandsaw.
Cut the top view first, then the side view.   (Disregard the wavy lines, I thought I might add hand grips, then changed my mind).   😀



Look what we got.  Kinda looks like a spoon.



Time for some grinder magic!
Starring... Proxxon's angle grinder tool !!!
This is fun.



I used the rounded wood gouge to smooth the hollow I made with the angle grinder a little bit then I turned to Proxxon's OZI/E delta sander to smooth some more.  I mean a lot more!  Thank goodness I have this sander, without it there never would have been a spoon today.



Now, let's pretty it up now and make it YOUnique!

I have a really good friend who has been facing a bunch of struggles lately so I am going to decorate it for her and then give it to her.   What better present than a homemade spoon right?

First I wood burned her name and some cute little flowers.  Then using Plaid paints, I colored them pretty.   I made a hole in the handle and laced a leather hanger.



To finish it off I sealed it with Waco Butcher block sealer.  This is food safe just in case she has and emergency need to stir the soup. 
  

All done.   I love Proxxon tools,  They have unlimited uses and are comfortable to work with.   I am going to keep playing with them to see what I come up with next.  

Thanks for visiting.
Thanks Proxxon !!
Thanks Plaid !!  
Till next time  enjoy creating!!!    Carol






4 comments:

Misty said...

Nice job and I love this spoon.
I know I can use it but, I am
afraid this poon will never see the
inside of a pot. Going to hang on the wall
as a treasured keepsake.
Very good work keep those blogs coming.
Thank you

Misty said...

Nice job and I love this spoon.
I know I can use it but, I am
afraid this poon will never see the
inside of a pot. Going to hang on the wall
as a treasured keepsake.
Very good work keep those blogs coming.
Thank you

Nell said...

Love the spoon, Carol. You did a great job, as usual.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the idea of spoons I have a lot of them so this will be a great addition to my collection thanks again for a great idea bj