Friday, August 2, 2019

How to make a special doggy dish holder

Hi again.  Time for a fun little project for all you furry friend lovers who think your baby deserves something special.   My little pup is named Jellybean and I think she is the greatest, so I am going to make her a special feeding dish because.... well why not.  That's not Jellybean in this picture.  Jellybean is so much cuter.    😏



Equipment and supplies
32" of 7/8" diameter wooden dowel   
28" of 1/2" wooden dowel     
wood glue
1/2" drill bit and drill
Krylon Crystal clear gloss coat.

pumpkin orange, white, pueblo, daffodil yellow and turquoise.

I drew you a diagram to get started and I will try to explain it as we go.  
Cutting instructions:
1.   Cut 5 pieces of the 7/8" dowel to 6 " in length.  I used the Proxxon mini table saw to do this.  I set the fence as a stop and used the miter gauge to keep my dowel at 90 degrees.  This ensures that my pieces will all be exactly alike.  
 


2.  Cut 2 pieces of the 1/2" dowel to 6 1/2" in length
3. Cut 2 pieces of the 1/2" dowel to 3 1/2" each
4.  Cut 2 pieces of the 1/2" dowel to 4" each
Sand everything very well with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander   
***  I used the Proxxon mini drill press to make pilot holes in all my dowel pieces as instructed below.   This will help me drill straight with the bigger drill bits. ***  Note the little vise that holds the dowel straight and secure.  

Drilled holes should all be 1/4" to 3/8" deep.  (less than half the diameter of the dowel)
  
 Holes are at 3" from the bottom on 4 of my 7/8" dowels.  See the diagram where the orange and blue dowels will be inserted.  They are at 90 degree from each other.

#5 dowel needs two holes at right angle at 2" from the bottom
# 2 and #3 dowels need a 1/2" hole 2" from the bottom and at 45 degree angle to the orange cross bar.  See diagram.   

Trust me... this is easy to make!  just hard to describe  

The blue circles on the diagram are where you can line up the big dowels during assembly.  
It goes together like a tinker toy. 


After I saw that it would fit I glued it up and let it dry.  

Now to pretty it up.
  I used Proxxon mini scroll saw to make a little plaque to personalize it.  I cut 2 plaques exactly the same.  I wrote out JellyBean on one then used the Proxxon mini scroll saw to cut it out.

I painted the other plaque black and glued it to the back of the first one to show off my scroll work.  I clamped it while the glue dried.

I had planned to attach it to the front of my dish holder but changed my mind.   I decided to mount it to the back where it would show up better.
I used the proxxon OZI/E sander with the cutting tool to make a groove in the number 5 dowel to hold the plaque.     The cutting tool works really good for this job.
(As you can see I had been painting)



Painting.    I just went wild.  I like color.  I used Plaid paints because they are so colorful and there are seemingly endless choices.  Out of the hundreds of choices, these are what I chose today.  

I glued the plaque into the groove and sprayed it all with krylon crystal clear to protect it.  

Seems JellyBean likes it.  

Jelly is a little Yorkie.   For a bigger dog I would make it taller.  

Thank you all for visiting.  I always enjoy making these projects in hopes that you will enjoy them too.   Thanks Proxxon and Plaid for your awesome products.   



5 comments:

Terri Sproul said...

this is adorable

Anonymous said...

great idea Carol bj

Steph Ackerman said...

This is great

Misty said...

Really did it again, I love the stand more important,
Jelly likes it as well. We are going to be waiting
on the water stand roflmao.
I would not choose so many colors but it turned out
great andI love, it.
Keep up the good work.
Congratulations on the blog.

Nell said...

This is so cute and useful...I love the many colors ! Jelly Bean is adorable as well.