Wednesday, August 14, 2019

How To Build A Colonial Wall Shelf

 
 

  Hi everyone! I recently purchased 2 new baskets at a local show. They're really big, so I needed somewhere to display them in my workshop. I designed a shelf for them and using my Proxxon tools I was able to create it. Please forgive the fact that it's not painted. I'm going to build another piece to go with it and I'll paint them both at the same time. I'd also like to add that even though these tools are small, with a little bit of thought you can build almost anything! Follow along with me and I'll show you how I built it.


Supplies:
  Proxxon Mini Band Saw
  Proxxon Table Saw
  Proxxon Delta Sander
  1" x ? Pine Boards (depending on how large you want your shelf to be).
  Wood Glue
  1 1/2' Brads and Brad Nailer
  Drill Bit and Drill


  •  Draw the bracket pattern then transfer the pattern to the pine boards. FYI. Because the throat of the band saw is only 6", you will need to draw your pattern on both sides of the boards. This will ensure you can cut your pattern from either side by flipping the board over. Trim away as much waste as possible. My shelf is big so I cut 3 brackets.
  • Using the Proxxon Delta Sander, sand the rough edges from the top board and the brackets.
  • Position the brackets where needed on the underside of the top board. If your shelf is long make sure to position one bracket in the center
    .
  • Glue brackets in place and let dry.
  • Cut a narrower board using the Proxxon Table Saw to fit between brackets and glue in place. This board will be the support to screw the shelf into the wall. Glue in place and let dry. 
  • When the entire piece is dry use the brad nailer and nail all joints or anywhere that was glued. Drill holes in the support strip. Try to match up the holes to the studs on your wall. Hold up the shelf, level and screw into wall. I love how it turned out and it's perfect for my new baskets!

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love it, Colleen, and everything you make! Thank you for such a detailed tutorial!

Carol Wulf said...

The shelves turned out beautiful and the tutorial is great. I need to make about 10 of these. Your shop looks so clean too.