Friday, January 24, 2020

How to make a puzzle from any design

Hi folks!!!   Glad you stopped by.   Today I have a treat for the kids, but it is also a treat for the "maker" in the family.  This is a super easy and creatively fun project, that you can customize to any age group and/or any special interest.
Proxxon

                                                   Here is what we are going to make today.  I chose a simple pattern for a young child.

Materials needed

2 pieces of 1/4"  to 3/8"  thick wood  The backing piece of the puzzle should be slightly larger than the front piece which will create a border (if you desire)

My back sheet measured 12 1/4 x 11 1/2"    My front measured 11 1/4 x 10 1/4"

You can make your puzzle larger or smaller!  😁

Wood glue.

Plaid paints of your choosing.


I used burnt umber, nutmeg brown, golden brown, 
black, spring white, bright blue and cloudless

Krylon Crystal clear sealer.

Proxxon mini scroll saw.


Proxxon mini table saw.



Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.






Proxxon scroll saw           Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.



  Let's get started.  



The first thing I did was to choose my pattern, then I cut my wood to size using the Proxxon mini table saw.  





Next, I painted my back board with Plaid paints "bright blue" color.  Wow this is a really bright blue and I am sure it will please the kids.  


While that dries I use some carbon paper and get my pattern transferred onto my other, smaller board.




After I cut out my puzzle pieces I will still need the outer piece of this front piece so I must make an "inside cut" using the proxxon mini scroll saw so that my border remains in one piece.  I do this by drilling a small hole in an inconspicuous place and thread my scroll saw blade through the hole and then reconnect it to the saw.    I am now ready to cut out my pattern.  This is so easy with Proxxon's mini scroll saw.  I just followed the lines I drew and cut out all the pieces.  To get my remaining piece out, (the border), I release the scroll saw blade and slide my piece out.    Now I have the puzzle pieces for the dog and an outer border piece.




I want my border piece to be a different shade of blue that will go with the bottom piece.  I chose cloudless by Plaid paints and paint the entire border this color. (not shown).  When it is dry I glue it to the bottom piece with wood glue and clamp it until it is good and dry.  I used a scrap piece of wood on top to provide even pressure.  



, Next, it is on to the pieces.   Each one needs a thorough sanding using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.   No one likes splinters.   This tool makes it so easy to get into the curves.  It has multiple speeds you can adjust with a dial.  Also it is so easy to change the sandpaper because it has hook and loop fastner, (velcro), so even after removing a piece it can be put back on later!.   I started with 80 grit paper because I wanted to round over the bottom edge of the pieces.  This just makes it easier for the child to slip the pieces together.   I then switched to 150 grit for the final sanding.



I painted all the pieces using Plaid paints.   I finished them off with a coating of Krylon crystal clear sealer.


Looking at my pieces I noticed a piece that had some skinny sides and was somewhat sharp.  A brilliant idea 💡 hit me that I should glue that to the back of the puzzle so that would give the kids a starting point AND it would keep that piece from being broken or hurting anyone.  💡.   So I glued it in place.  


Puzzle is done!!  Wasn't that fun and so easy.



 Hope you had fun and are gonna give it a try.   I thank you sooooo much for visiting.   Hope to see you back next time.  Carol


Thanks to Proxxon tools and Plaid paints............so much fun to play with!!!


4 comments:

Nell said...

This is a great idea. Any child would love one of these.

Misty said...

Carol I think this is adorable and a perfect
first puzzle for a toddler. Was smart gluing in the
started piece. Any toddler would love it I Am sure,
Babies love animals.
Keep up the functional blogs. Good Work.
Misty

Steph Ackerman said...

What an adorable project. it's perfect for kids.

Anonymous said...

great job I know some kids that would real enjoy playing with this bj