Friday, April 3, 2020

How to make a little Easter bunny from yard scraps

Easter's coming ya'all.   Time to start with the Easter crafts.   I got a cute little one that is easy to make and costs $0.   Yay!   It starts with garden scraps, small limbs that you probably cut when you pruned your trees.   If you don't have scraps come see me, I got plenty!  Worst case scenario, I think Hobby Lobby sells a bag of "wood rounds" in their wood craft section.


SUPPLIES AND EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
Wood scraps
Wood glue
Proxxon mini band saw
Proxxon OZI/E delta sander plus cutting heads
Small wood clamps or clothes pins
Cotton ball (for tail)
Plaid paints   I used white, black, and fushia












My first step was to pick out some small limbs -  I had lots of stock to choose from but I just chose three pieces.  One is approx 2" in diameter, one is  1" in diameter, and the third is approx 3/8" in diameter   I will cut off all the little side limbs then bring it into the shop for the next step. 









Using the Proxxon mini band saw I cut about a 1 1/2" piece" piece off of the larger piece.   This will be the bunny's body.












I used the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander with the cutting head to make a slot in the top of the "bunny's body" part.

    

Next I cut 3 pieces from the  1" stock.   two will serve as bottom feet and one I will cut in half and these pieces will be used for his front paws.


I wanted the bunny ears to be long, not round so I adjusted the miter gauge on the Proxxon mini band saw to 45 degrees and cut 2 ears  see picture 
I glued the head into the slot and let it dry.  Then I glued the ears on and held them with a small clamp until they dried well.  Feet are glued on.  My half rounds will be glued next as front paws (not seen in this picture)
Here is the bunny put together.   I have painted him with Plaid paints and added a cotton ball for a tail.   I am going to make some more and set them around the house at Easter time.   
That's all there is to it.   I think the kids would love to paint these bunnies.   But no kids near the band saw!!!   Let's all be safe. 

Thanks for visiting.   Thank You Proxxon, and Thank you Plaid paints.

Till next time.   Have fun, play safe!    Carol

3 comments:

Misty said...

I sat my bunny in a small
flower pot and it is so cute.
Love it, and perfect for
this Easter.Thank you.

Anonymous said...

the rabbit is so cute and you get to recycle to come to my house and we will have enough limbs to make a trillion of them like the colors too bj

Nell said...

Very cute bunny. You always have great projects.