Thursday, November 5, 2020

Easy to make wooden castanets

 Hi everyone.  Hope you had a nice Halloween and didn't get tricked too bad.  Our's was very quiet.  I guess the virus has everyone hiding out in their own homes.  Oh well... more leftover candy for me. 

  I have a neat little project today.  I made this with Proxxon tools then used Plaid paints to decorate. It was ever so easy and turned out nice.  I leave it sitting around and everyone plays with it.  That includes me.  It has a nice sound and is so easy to play with.  Anyone can add to the music.

We are going to make some castanets.  


Supplies and Equipment

Proxxon mini drill press with drill bit.
3//8" oak or other hardwood
8" length of leather lacing
Plaid paints for decorating
spray sealant of your choice.
Tape

Let's get started:

The first thing I did was to create my pattern.   To make a drawing a symmetrical I use a little trick I learned in grade school.  I folded a sheet of paper then drew half my pattern on the fold.  Then I cut it out and when I open it up I have a pattern that looks the equal on both sides.  (Remember drawing half a heart on Valentine's day?)💗
I want the paddle part to be about 2 x 3" and the handle about 3" - 3 1/2" long..  And we need 2 square pieces measuring 2 x 3".  See cutting layout below. 🠋 only 3 pieces total.👍



Cut them out on the Proxxon mini bandsaw.  Have I mentioned before how I love this tool?   Cuts like butter but is not scary like a big bandsaw.





Next we take the two outside square pieces over to the Proxxon Disc Sander and bevel one edge on each one.  Unlike the picture I took bevel the edges all the way across.  😆



Next, tape your pieces together.   Using the Proxxon mini drill press make 2 holes through all 3 pieces. (outside of the handle part)




Sand everything well with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  Make sure to round the edges of the handle so that it is comfortable in the hand.













Time to decorate.   I always use Plaid paints for their vibrant colors.



front and back

Seal your painted pieces, then using the leather lacing tie it all together with a knot at each end.  Pull it tight and cut off the extra lacing.    Lookie  🠉👀 🠝 its all done.  

I want to thank you for visiting.   I hope you will try out this super simple project.  Great for kids and beginners.   Thank You Proxxon, and Plaid.  Great products!!     

 
Catch ya next time  Carol  

No comments: