Thursday, November 19, 2020

How to make your own dominos

 Greetings, fellow Covid prisoners.  Hope you all are well and have found some entertainment in your home or something to keep you busy.  Personally I am enjoying all the extra time I can get in the workshop.  I've been redecorating.... but that's another story (long one 😆).  Today I am going to show you how to make dominos.   This is a simple game that the whole family can play.  And... it is easy to make.  

 


Let's gather our supplies

1/4  -  1/2"  thick wood of your choice.   I used 1/2" poplar plywood.

ruler and pencil

Proxxon mini table saw

Proxxon mini table saw

Proxxon micro press

Proxxon O/ZIE delta sander

Plaid paints

sealer of your choice.   I used water-based polyurethane. 

The first thing I did was to measure out my tiles.   I was using some small plaques I already had so I first had to cut the rounded corners off.  I want my pieces rectangles  1" x 2".    Then I took it over to the proxxon mini table saw, using the fence, I  cut out 1" strips..




Next I took the strips over to the Proxxon mini chop saw and cut them into 2" lengths.  I placed some masking tape to mark my length.  This made cutting super fast since I didn't have to measure each one.


Next I penciled in my dots that I was going to make on the Proxxon Mini Press.   At the mini press I used a rounded bit to press round dents into my wood pieces.where the dots belong.  






Paint the dots with Plaid black paint and let them dry well.   Don't worry if the paint gets outside the dot area.  We will take care of that in a minute.



Using the Proxxon O/ZIE delta sander sand all the tiles well.   Sanding the face of the tile will remove any stray paint.  


Looks like we got them all.   I will finish them with a polyurethane varnish.




Stacked up.... hmm they need a box or something to keep them.    




Stay tuned.  My next blog is going to be the decorative box we will keep these in.  Should be posted on Dec 4.    Hope you come back and we can finish this project.

Thanks all for visiting.
Thanks again Proxxon and Plaid.  2 excellent companies!       Carol

3 comments:

Carole Lassak said...

Great project. Clever use of the press.

Misty said...

I agree and with the stay home
or close to home, it is a good
game to learn, or play.
Well done keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

way to go Carol makes a good game for all bj