Thursday, July 15, 2021

How to make a wooden flying eagle

 Hi everyone, it's me again, Carol W, .  Today I want to show you an easy project to make so you can spruce up a room without using any wall, floor, dresser or desk space.  That's right we are going to hang it from the ceiling.  

I had a paper one of these many years ago, but today we will make it from some thin pieces of scrap wood.    It is an easy project and I just love the outcome.  

Equipment and supplies.  

Wood,-- 1/4" - 3/8" plywood scraps,  Need a couple pieces about 6" x 18"

Eagle pattern- see below, or draw your own,

Proxxon mini scroll saw

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander

Proxxon mini drill press

Plaid paints

sturdy string

Here is the pattern I drew, Note I separated the wings from the body and there is a cutout place on each where we will put them together.




\
Transfer the pattern onto your wood, then cut out the eagle and his wings using theProxxon mini scroll saw




 



Note on the pattern whrere the holes are marked and use the Proxxon mini drill press to drill those holes, on the wings and on the eagle.

Test that the wings will slide onto the eagle body.  It should be snug but not impossible.


Using the Proxxon O/ZIE delta sander, sand everything smooth.  I love this tool, it gets into all the tight spots, and the sanding papers are changeable using hook and loop fastening.


Take the eagle apart now and paint it using Plaid's wonderful array of paints and let it dry.  

To hang the eagle, I used (2) 12 inch pieces of string for the wings and a 10" string for the eagle's body.   This made it hang like I wanted.  I tied these 3 strings first to the eagle then together at the opposite end then hung him from the rafters in my shop (till I find him a home).  

Looks pretty good, I think. I  cauight the cat looking up at him a couple of times.  



Well, thank you all for visiting,  Come back soon for another new project.  Take care!

Thank you Proxxon. com,  and Plaid paints.



1 comment:

Misty said...

This is going to make
someone a neat hanging off the
eaves or a hook. The way the
winds are blowing here he
will be flying high.
Neat!!