Sunday, July 4, 2021

How to Make a Useful Key Holder from Reclaimed Wood

 This key holder used to be a rack for cheese knives, but it had outlived its usefulness, and was falling apart. So, I decided to reclaim parts of it and refashion it into a key holder.



I used these Proxxon tools:


Here's how I made the Reclaimed Wood Key Holder:

  1. I started with this fallen-apart cheese knife rack. The top piece was just glued on, and had fallen off.

  2. I used the bandsaw to cut away the bottom piece, but saved it for a future project.
  3. I used a 5/8" dowel rod to turn pegs to hold the keys.
  4. I used a center finder to mark the center of the dowel rod.

     
  5. I mounted the unmarked end of the dowel in the three jaw chuck, and centered the marked end at the tail stock.

  6. I turned four different pegs, and sanded each while still mounted on the lathe.

  7. Next, I used FolkArt UltraDye to color each peg. The UltraDye produces a vibrant color while still allowing the wood grain to show through.

  8. Then, I sanded the two reclaimed wood pieces using the Delta sander.

  9. These two piece were then glued together.

  10. While the glue was drying, I again used the center finder to mark the centers at the bottom of the pegs, and screwed in a hook for holding the keys.
  11. Now I have a functional key holder made from reclaimed wood.

Carole

No comments: