Thursday, June 30, 2022

How to make a Plexiglas card holder for personal or business cards using Proxxon tools

 Hi folks, time for a new project.  Today I am going to show you how you can use Proxxon tools to make clear beautiful boxes.  For instructional purposes we are going to make a small little business card holder, but I'm sure you can imagine any number of things a person could make.   Hang on and let's get started 


               


I went to the local hardware store in town to see what Plexiglas sheets they had for sale.  Ooops.... there is a little bit of sticker shock involved, but I didn't need the giant sheets they were selling.   What I did find out was that most people come in not needing that big ol sheet either so there was a lot of cutoffs and scrap there.  Nice hardware man here said, "Oh that is the junk pile, help yourself", so I did.  😉    I got a bunch of it.  For Free!  I bet every hardware store has pieces like that.  Anyhow, let's get started.

The first thing to do is design the little box.  I wanted to make mine 4" x 2" x 2" but the sides will be shorter and the back taller.   I  also want to use the Proxxon engraver to personalize it a bit.

So off to the Proxxon mini table saw to cut the plexiglas.  I cut the pieces as below

back and bottom 4 x 2          sides 1 x 2                 back 4 x 4



On the front piece I drew an arc that I cut out using the Proxxon mini bandsaw.  This just makes it easier to grab our business cards.


Then using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander, I lightly sanded the exposed edges to remove any stuck-on pieces that might be sharp.   Oh... that reminds me.   When cutting plexiglas little pieces fly off everywhere.  Use eye protection without fail.  


Check out my face shield.  I use it in the shop all the time. It has a filter in it as well, so my lungs and face are protected!


Next, I glued up my box except the back using super glue plus an accelerator which makes the bond happen super fast so be ready.




Then, I took the back piece over to the engraver, made by Proxxon tools.   I set it up to engrave our company name.  Good directions come with the engraver so it can be set up accurately.   I placed the Proxxon rotary tool in the holder and engraved, my plexigals back with our company name.



Hey it looks good. And cost nothing but a little time.




I can't wait to make something else

Hope you enjoyed this quickie project and maybe learned how easy it is to work with plexiglas and Proxxon tools.  

Till next time   Play safe, Use eye protection please.!   Carol

Thanks for visiting.  


No comments: