Friday, November 17, 2017

Let It Snow Sign

Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here today with a fun new winter sign I've created for my house.   It was easily created with the help of some amazing Proxxon Tools.  I picked up this wood and metal sign in the clearance section because I knew it would be fun to alter.


Use a stencil to draw a snowman on a left over piece of a 12" x 12" panel of  Smoothfoam.  Alternatively, you could also freehand the snowman.


Using the Proxxon Hot Wire Cutter, I quickly cut off what I did not need.  If you haven't tried the Hot Wire Cutter yet, I will tell you that it heats up quickly and then cuts through Smoothfoam like it's butter. 



After removing the excess panel, I began cutting around the snowman.  The Hot Wire Cutter cuts so smoothly and easily.  Even the tiniest of areas are no problem to cut!  I always save my scraps because you never know when you'll need them!


I decided to upcycle the wood and metal sign so I painted it with gesso. I also painted the snowman with gesso. 


Using Plaid Metallic Paints in Antique Gold, Gunmetal Grey and Black, I painted both the snowman and the sign. 


Once the sign was dry, I used a stencil with molding paste to add stars to the background.  Then I added molding paste along the bottom to create the snow effect.


I then finished the snowman, tying a scarf around his neck.  A scrap of ribbon was added to create a nose and wiggly eyes were added.   Holly, ribbon and a pom pom finished him off.  


Let it Snow was die cut from white cardstock.  While still in the die, I painted the words with Antique Gold, the holly with Green Flash and the berries with Red Flash.


I added all elements to the sign with liquid adhesive.



Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Carol Wulf said...

Such a cute little snowman. I love it. Nice work.

rhonda cheryl walker said...

how i love this thanks for sharing , great job

Misty said...

Adorable Steph, cute as a button. Love it Nice job.

Unknown said...

Awwww so cute