Friday, December 22, 2017

A Special Christmas Gift

Today I want to show you a project that I finished and which arrived in Aberdeen, Maryland yesterday. What does a woman want who knits and crochets? Why a yarn bowl of course!

The Supplies Needed for this Project Are:
Origami paper (or whatever you prefer)
Resin
Sandpaper
Paint Brushes
Wood burner
Picture and Quote
Pink Adirondack Ink
Q-Tips

I started out with the usual moldy, dirty, gourd. After washing the outside and drying it, I cut the gourd open and cleaned out the insides. I used my Proxxon Jig Saw to cut the gourd open and once the inside was cleaned out, I used it once again to cut the opening into the side of the gourd. This is where your yarn would come out.
I then used the blade to cut around the top of the gourd to start rounding it. When all was clean both outside and in, I mixed up the resin according to the instructions and poured it into the bottom of the gourd to give it more stability.
Gourds are so lightweight that I felt the resin was needed for a little extra weight also. When this step was finished I started covering the inside of the bowl with the paper and the Mod Podge
I loved the colors in this paper and it left the inside looking so pretty. I added an extra layer of Mod Podge over the top of the paper it was dry for extra protection.
I used a shade of Blue Plaid Acrylic Paint to go around the top edge and around the edge of the 
curly-que. Once that was dry I then drew the pattern onto the back side of the bowl and wood burned it into the gourd. I used a touch of pink alcohol ink on a Q-Tip to color the ball of yarn.
After the project was complete, I used Plaid Acrylic Sealer to seal the yarn bowl both inside and out.
In case you're having a hard time seeing the back of the bowl, it says "I make string pretty". I think this is a gift that will be used for many years. Actually, as long as someone takes care of it, perhaps it can be handed down a few generations. That would be awesome. I hope you liked this project and that it might inspire you to make it for someone you know. If so you need to go to: www.proxxon.com and get these super tools for yourself and make your work go much easier.

Barbara

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That's just pretty darn nifty! Handy as a pocket on a shirt!

Charlotte Branz said...

I read it all the way to the bottom and then went back to the top and read it again. You come up with some great ideas!

Unknown said...

I love that!

Misty said...

Love it Barbara well done. I have a huge gourd
and HAD started a yarn bowl the key words WAS
started. Still haven't finished it. Love the yarn
feeder on yours. Could not quite see how it was
added. Great Idea love the design and the way you
finished the inside, I too love the colors.
Bravo!

Cindy said...

Thank you everyone for the comments! I hope she likes it. Misty, that's all gourd and the feeder part is cut out from the gourd. Is that what you were talking about? I decopauged it on the inside too.

Carol Wulf said...

This was a great project. I wish I were a knitter so I could have one. Love your choice of colors.

Misty said...

Thank you Barbara for the reply. It was pointed
out to me that I was looking at the photo inside
of the gourd. From the way I was looking at appeared
to be on the rim of the gourd. Duh!! you know me get
befuddled easily. Sorry for the dumb question.
Hugs and love. Miss seeing you.