Saturday, June 23, 2018

A Native American Themed Gourd Box

                 



I've had the urge to create with gourds lately and that's what this post is all about. The designs used on this gourd box are ones which were first used by the Anasazi Indians about 2000 years ago, give or take. Very simple but which describe things which were part of their lives very well.

The Supplies Needed for this project are:

A canteen or tobacco box gourd
Assorted tools to clean the inside with
Wood burner
Alcohol Inks and Mixatives
Acrylic Paints
Mod Podge
Heishi beads
Embellishment for lid and embellishments to attach to the gourd all the way around.
Black Acrylic Paint mixed with glue
Mod Podge (outdoor)
Loctite Gel glue
Acrylic Spray Sealer


I first chose a gourd that I wanted to use for this job. It was the one in the front right, which I then cut opened and cleaned. There are various ways to clean a gourd on the inside, but I've found the best way is with good old fashioned elbow grease and a gourd cleaning tool. If you use the gourd cleaning balls be very careful to only take the yucky stuff out and not the inside actual gourd or you will end up with a very thin gourd. Use whatever tools you have on hand and finish off with a good sanding. Don't leave any bits that might flake off later.


Here's a close up look at me cutting a narrow and deep channel around the gourd to inlay the heishi beads into. I used a wheel to do the work, along with my Proxxon Rotary Tool with a Flex Shaft. I love, love, love using the Proxxon Flex Shaft! I produces less vibration to my hands which is such a blessing as I have arthritis in them and it's so easy to hold.


Can you see by looking at the edges of the gourd how thick it is? Awesome, and so sturdy! After I cleaned the insides I painted them with the black acrylic paint that I had mixed with Elmer's glue. It was a ratio of about 1/2 and 1/2 paint to glue. When that dried I brushed on two coats of the Plaid Mod Podge letting it dry completely between coats. The Plaid Mod Podge gave the gourd insides a nice smooth feel. I then wood burned the Native American symbols around the gourd and did a little highlighting with acrylic paints. I used the alcohol inks mixed with a copper mixative to color the outsides and then inlaid the heishi beads into the channel that I had carved using the Loctite Gel glue. I added the embellishment to the top so that it had a handle to lift the top with and sealed it all with an acrylic sealer. I used upholstery tacks and some faux Indian nickel tacks to embed around the bottom of the gourd and voila' it was finished!



I think that the tacks around the bottom really set it off don't you? And I think the heishi beads around the top half set it off also. What do you think? Would you like to make gourd art? There are gourd society's in a lot of states and they have chapters who will help you learn or they will know of individuals who will. I just got back from the "Cherokee Gourd Gathering" in Cherokee, NC and it was quite an event with a lot of "gourding" going on.

Let me know what you thought of this project by leaving me a comment below. I do read them all. I would like to thank Proxxon Tools ( Tiny Tools with Lots of Character) for all of their assistance.



Barbara

5 comments:

Misty said...

Love the way you cut this one Barbara,
The embellishments really add to the topic
of the theme. Kind of small print with my eyes
like they are now was hard to read. I saved the photo
so I could enlarge it and see some details.
Love the project.

Carol Wulf said...

The gourd came out beautiful. You made it look easy with your step by step instructions. I think I would like to try one. Nice job!!

bsktlady said...

I tried to post a comment a couple of times, but somehow kept having difficulties. Love your gourd project! I've never tried mixing glue with paint before, so will have to try this technique. And, I haven't used Mod Podge in a while, so thanks so much for this. Really love your exterior treatment too! Great tutorial Barbara, thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very pretty!

Unknown said...

Love how you cut this one it’s so pretty! Hadley said this one is awesome and you did a great job!