Friday, June 1, 2018

How to make a sturdy and portable folding table easel








How to make a sturdy and portable folding table easel






This project came about seeing how many easels we are going to need if we take paintings along to our shows.
Also because so many of our visitors are artist and craft people and we try to keep their needs
 in mind.




Equipment needed
proxxon mini table saw
proxxon delta OZI/E sander
KAPRO  measuring tool
pencil
square
Proxxon mini band saw or scroll saw
hammer and or screwdriver
small drill or rotary tool.
1" and 5/8" spade bits


Supplies
1/2" solid wood slats.  I used (3) 1/2" x 51/2" x 48" (this one is out of Aspen)
small screws or nails
(2) 1 1/4" bolts with wing nuts
wood glue
polyurethane varnish


To start I measured and cut out my wood pieces.  See picture below.   I used the proxxon mini table saw for this











(2)table posts  1/2" x2" x 20"2
(3) table rails  1/2" x 21 x 18"
(2) adjustment arms  1/2" x 2" x 10 3/4"
(2) base feet 1/2" x 2" x18"
(1) base rails 1/2" x 2" x 16 3/4"
(1) tray bottom  1/2" x 1 3/4" x 18"
(1) tray front 1/2" x 5/8" x 18"
(1) pine dowel 5/8" x 19 3/8"
(1) catch -- use small piece hardwood 1/8" x 7/8" x 4"





I used the proxxon mini bandsaw to round over the ends on the adjustment arms, and the front of the base rails and the bottom of the table posts.   I used an old medicine bottle to draw some nice round ends.


After everything is cut, I go over it well with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander to get it smooth.


I made my adjustment slots using a 1" spade bit after I clamped the two base rails together side to side..  That way I will get a half circle in each

Now lets put it together


The table rails are attached to the table posts.  I fastened the top rail even with the top edge of the table post and attached it with 3 small nails.    I measured 5" down from the bottom of the top rail to the top of the second rail and fastened it with 3 nails on each side and the bottom 5" down from that.  I added a small screw to the bottom rail for added strength. 

The base foot is attached to the table post with a nut and bolt as it will need to swivel slightly.
The base rail is attached to the end of the base foot with small screws or nails

The front tray is made by attaching the 5/8" piece to the tray bottom which is then attached to the bottom rail. 


The adjustable arm- first secure the dowel between the 2 adjustable arms.  I did this by drilling a 5/8" hole about halfway through the arms then using glue and a small screw.   The arm is then attached to the side post halfway between the bottom two rails.  A hole is drilled through to accommodate a bolt with a wing nut. 




Here is a picture of the easel put together.   Hope it makes sense.  And if all goes well it will fold up nice to make it easy to tote.


Open and adjustable                                                         Closed and ready to pack up








I hope this has been a blog you can get some use out of and find it easy enough to make.

It folds flat and is light weight for traveling.

Thanks to all of ,my faithful supporters and sponsors for allowing me to bring these Blogs to you.
This week I also need to thank Carol for the help and her technical  knowledge.
Proxxon mini tools  great tools for small projects and a great supporter of it's Blogger's thank you.
Plaid Paints. Thank you Plaid for your support.
Kapro Excellent Laser measuring tools
Also like to thank our mentor and POC for this Blog Terri Sproul.

Last but not least YOU are the most inportent to this Blog.
Myself and those mentioned above thank you and are appreciative  of your interest and support.
 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea and I am hoping to get it made this weekend ..

Unknown said...

This looks so much sturdier than the crap you buy that are so expensive. Thanks Misty. Love it

Carol Wulf said...

This is a nice looking easel. I like that it folds up and you can take it on the go. Nice work.

Nell said...

Another great project, one every artist needs and you did a great job !