Friday, June 15, 2018

How To Make a Beautiful Leather Poured Necklace




This Blog is a result of my last blog. The first time I wore my necklace out I had someone want to place an order for one. The only difference was that they wanted it all leather. Humm, never tried jewelry or pouring to make a leather necklace, but oh what the heck, how hard can it be?? Soon to find out!



Tools I used to make this necklace

Proxxon Mini Bland saw Using no teeth blade
(For cutting Leather)

needle with a large eye

Supplies Used

A small piece of stiff leather
Braided Cord
Krystal clear Krylon Triple thick spray sealer
Martha Stewart Pouring medium
Small pizza cups to mix paint
Craft stick to stir with
A small box or tin or piece of cardboard
to pour on It will run.




Step one, find a small piece of leather. As luck would have it,
I had a piece that was stiff and curved that would lay on the body lovely.
Cut it very carefully on the Proxxon mini band saw.
Using the blade with no teeth gave the leather a nice cut
without chewing the leather.




First snag, the necklace was not going to be large enough to add leather straps
so I placed a call to the client and explained the issue. She assured me the cord would work for her.
Using the Proxxon Professional Rotary Tool I drilled small holes large enough to string the cord through, since she wanted it like mine just easy to slip over the head, needed no clasp or pieces that would break with rough wear. she plans to wear it most of the time.







Mixing the pouring mediums
2 parts Martha Stewarts pouring medium to 1 part Plaid paint. 
Mix each color with pouring medium separate in a small pizza cup
Totally Simple. 
The customer had chosen her colors: White, Purple.  It was suggested lavender and gold would add to the impact of the colors, she agreed so we went ahead with that color scheme.

This was my testing to see if the paint and medium would adhere to leather.


Yes, the test proved that the paint would stick well.
On to the real thing.


I mixed my four cups of medium and paint.
I poured white for a background, then using a stir stick I scooped up some of the purple and let it run by tilting the necklace, Then I added a bit of lavender and pulled it through in areas I thought it would look good. I added some drops of gold and let them spread. Adding a tad here and there of both colors till I was pleased with the design. Make sure the pour covers the sides of the piece you are working on. Then I put it aside to cure. It is the most fun to play with.


Getting a large needle I threaded it with the black cord
I was using and strung it through the holes.
It helps if you add a little glue to the end of the cord and pinch it flat.
Makes threading the needle easier.
In the end, I tied a square knot so it was secure and would not slip.





The finished Product on the client's neck. She loved it.

Simple. yet elegant. I liked mine with the beaded string for a little dressier style. This one is great for everyday wear.  


Thanks to proxxon for their continued support.
Also my thanks to Plaid Paints for their support
Many thanks to all of the companies and people that help keep this blog going.
Most of all I would like to thank you, the customer and supporter of this blog and its products.
Without you  we are nothing.

I will let you know that this coming Tues the 19th. 
I am going in for eye surgery, and again on the 28th.
I don't know how much I will be able to do.
Carol is going to step in and try and keep this blog alive while I am out.












8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misty you know how much I love this necklace and thinks for doing a great job on it The colors are like magic everyone that sees it likes it So thinks again for making such a awsome necklace bj

Insane Artist said...

As always, I love it. Its fab...I want mine in different colors with a longer cord!! Lol

Misty said...

lol what color ?

Nell said...

Wow, this turned out beautiful....I love how pouring the paint makes everything so unique. Great job !

Carol Wulf said...

It is really beautiful. And it looks like you could make a necklace for every outfit in your wardrobe. Nice work. Your choice of colors is perfect.

Unknown said...

I love this Misty so pretty.

Barbara Moore said...

Great job Misty! Very pretty necklace. I'm sure you will get asked to do even more.

Unknown said...

Misty Love this necklace. The gold really added to the beautiful colors. Thank you for sharing.