Friday, July 6, 2018

How to make an easy toy paddleboat




OK kids, this one is for you.  

     Let me tell you, it is HOT here!!!  and we all need an excuse to get in the water and cool off.   My excuse today is, "We are going to make a toy boat and we will have to get wet to test it."   I sure would hate to give this boat to the little boy next door and have it sink first thing.   So I will have to play with it,,,,, I mean test it first.

This project was fun for me and I know this special little boy is going to love it!  

Equipment and Supplies:
1x6" pine board
1/4" plywood 
wood glue
rubber bands
krylon krystal clear sealer




Procedure:



I have a confession.   I built this boat piece by piece, designing and measuring as I went.   But after the fact I put together this pattern that you can use if you like how my boat came out.  It's a scale drawing.  1 square = 1/2"






The first thing I did was to cut out my pieces using the proxxon mini band saw.   I truly love this saw, it cuts so smooth and effortlessly.



Making the paddlewheel- if it is cut perfect it will fit together really well.  Be sure to glue it with waterproof glue and let dry completely.



Then glue the deck onto the bottom of the boat and clamp it until dry.  (ignore that paddle wheel in the picture.  It was premature at this step.)



Glue on the windshield and sides of the boat.  Clamp and let dry.


Next glue the top on. 



Next step was to glue the keels on both sides of the bottom of the boat.  This will help the boat go straight.

It looked a little flimsy- remember this is a young boy's toy- so I added some supports to strengthen it.  These are glued to both sides of each keel.  The  pointy end goes towards the front  to decrease resistance in the water.


**Important** sand everything smooth. No splinters or sharp edges for the little kiddies.
The proxxon OZI/E delta sander makes this easy work!


I used waterproofing paint on every piece of this little boat.  It is specifically made for concrete but I am sure it will waterproof the boat.   I will paint the boat pretty after I let this dry for 24 hours.


Painted with plaid paints
I used 2938 titanium white, 02506 black noir,  414E cardinal red, and 401E true blue.

then sealed it with 2 coats of krylon krystal clear.
I think it is ready for the water!!!

Oh,, the rubber band gets fastened in the two notches on the bottom of the boat.  One loop goes through the top of the X (the paddlewheel) the other through the bottom.   Wind it up. set it in the water. and watch it go!


I got my feet wet! and it worked.  Boone is gonna love it!


Thanks y'all for coming by and visiting.  Thanks proxxon, plaidkapro, our sponsors, and Terri Sproul, our guru.    Now go have some fun.    Hope to see you next time.  Carol 


Yup... he loved it!!








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol it will go good with a hot day and a young man and you made it look simple and the coloring fits the time of year glad you done this project and I bet I know a little boy who will always remember this bj

Misty said...

I love this Toy Carol and I know Boone does.
Just look at the happiness sparkling on his face.
Job well done.
I had the opportunity to watch the test run in
person and heck it was a hoot. Excellent work and your
instructions are as always very clear. Something
tells me there is not a young boy or girl under the age of
seven that would not love it,
Great work.

Nell said...

Wow, I'm impressed ! Very cute project, any child would love this. You did a great job with building it and with the instructions.

Dan Cohee said...

Awesome!

Barbara Moore said...

What an awesome project ! Oh yes you can tell it was a magical moment for that young man! Wonderful tutorial and so creative. Perfect Summertime toy!