Friday, July 13, 2018

How to make a lovely Butterfly box with Mod Podge





 



Tools used  For this project

Proxxon Pen Sander
Proxxon professional rotary tool
small drill bit
screwdriver that fits small screw head



Supplies

plaid Paints (colors of your choice) I picked ones that went with the scarf color.
Salt Box. you choose the size, Craft store or Online
1/8 inch thick wood
Scarf from the Thrift shop (used  to cut out design)
School Glue
2 small screws



 The first step in making this box was to sponge paint it with a sea sponge and plaid
Yellow and a soft orange.
I painted the entire box with a first coat of yellow by dipping a small corner of the sponge and tapping it lightly over the box. Let it  dry completely and repeat the process with the



I found flowers I thought would go well with this, cut them out, and glued them to the box top.








Cut our flowers so butterflies would visit.
Used white school glue to stick them onto the box.


This was my inspiration, cost $ 1.00 at the thrift store.
I pressed the scarf and laid it flat on a large sheet of freezer paper.
Then I selected the butterflies I wanted to add to the box.
I used glue on the butterflies to seal them so the edges would not unravel when cut. I let it dry good and then cut out the special ones for this project.




Butterflies cut and placed on and around the box.





Box Bottom





Now for using the layer upon layer of Plaid Mod Podge
I used several layers to ensure the scarf material was going to stay in place. I put some of the butterfly wings just a little up under the lid. Love the idea that they are getting in the box.


Now this box top needs reinforcement for support so I can attach a handle without damaging the cardboard box..  Carol takes over here so that my eyes won't be subjected to sawdust.  My eyes are getting better since the cataract surgeries but it will be awhile yet before I get my glasses.  I don't think I should mess with the bandsaw.



Hi everyone... It's Carol now.   We are going to make Misty a handle for this pretty little box.  I think the box is looking really nice.  I love the colors.   
Ok, first thing I did was to measure her box.  It has a diameter of 6" so I cut out a circle 5" in diameter.  I don't want the wood part to interfere with the closing of the lid.  I used a container lid to draw my circle.  You could use a compass if you wanted to.





I cut out the circle from thin (1/8" thick) oak plywood  using the proxxon mini bandsaw.  I sanded the edges smooth using the proxxon OZI/E delta sander then Misty painted it pretty and glued it to the inside  of the lid to the box.  There is a small border left intentionally so the lid closes good.





We decided on a shape for the handle and cut it out on the proxxon mini bandsaw.



Using the proxxon OZI/E delta sander and the proxxon pensander I sanded the handle to a rounded shape.


Using the proxxon professional rotary tool. small holes are drilled into the handle where it will attach to the box.  


After being painted, the handle is attached to the box with the 2 small screws.  The wood disk inside will hold it firmly.


All done. 


I would like to thank our sponsors for their continued support.
Proxxon and Plaid are both awesome companies. proxxon products are well made and ideal for small craft items.
Plaid Paints has so very many things to offer the crafter. Love the new watercolor paints. So many new things to work with.
Terri Sproul is our point of contact for these companies and does a good job of trying to keep all happy.
I thank, and am greatful for the friends who visit and support this blog. You are so special and such good friends.
Thank you, last but not least by far,  my best friend Carol Wulf for assisting with my blogs during this very difficult healing time.




 
My sincere thanks to all of the above mentioned..














.
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misty you done it again This project is one I could do for a birthday and not cost a great deal of money and it would suit an older person thanks for all you ideas bj

charlotte fletcher@roma land woodcrafts said...

It turned out really pretty! Great idea to use the scarf for the butterflies.

Barbara Moore said...

Great project and terrific tutorial! Everyone loves flowers and butterflies!

Unknown said...

What an amazing project, just lovely!!!!!

Nell said...

Misty, what a great little box. I love butterflies and you did a great job decorating it. Carol made a fine little handle which really finished it off.

Unknown said...

So pretty love it

Carol Wulf said...

I can think of a hundred different ways to use this little box. It really came out pretty. You could fill it up with something (money or whatever?) and give it to me for Christmas. Very nice.

Insane Artist said...

Beautiful, very Victorian. It can be have a multitude of uses. Great job!!