Saturday, July 28, 2018

Ready for Halloween?



  









I know right? Who's working on Halloween in July? Well I thought it might be a good idea to get a start on one of the holidays that we have in the Fall because it seems as though they're here before you know it and I don't know about you but I'm never quite ready for them.

Supplies needed for today's project:

One cannonball gourd (yep that's the name of it)
Tea light or clip in light with cord or flashlight
(I decided not to use the flashlight after I had taken the picture)
hole saw



Do you see how round this gourd is? Hence the name cannonball gourd. I had these Plaid paints
out to use on this gourd but found my orange, black and white Plaid paints and used them instead. It's up to you as to what colors you use but I wholeheartedly recommend using Plaid paints for just about any project that you are working on. This is not a hard project and can be made in one day.




I first cleaned out the gourd which was rather easy because all the inside stuff was in one ball in the inside and I only had to break up the ball and pull out the pieces. Very little scraping on the inside.
I used my Proxxon Jig Saw when cutting out the eyes etc. and I drilled pilot holes with my Proxxon Rotary Tool for my saw first so that I didn't break any blades or the gourd. Cannonball gourds are dense but not thick so you need to use some care in cutting on them.



I used a hole saw blade to cut out the top and bottom holes (different sizes with the larger hole on top). And prior to cutting out the features I used a pencil to draw them on the gourd. Once the cutting was done my Plaid Paints finished everything off by giving the features life.



This is the gourd with a tealight in it.



And now with the light and cord in it.



And now in the dark! Do you see that small light on the upper right? It's a heart. I don't know what created it either, I just couldn't figure out where it came from. Do you think maybe the scary jack-o-lantern was happy that he was created?? Happy Halloween in July!

My Proxxon Tools and Plaid Paints made this project super easy. I think it would be easy for anyone with the right tools! Check out the Proxxon catalog and the Plaid website for some amazing products. Both great companies who are always creating new and wonderful products to make creating easier and definitely prettier.

Barbara


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Are there retailers for the plaid paints or is it online only? Can they be used on only certain surfaces? And does this require a dealer or any kind of drying process? I've never done this before... (smiles shyly)

Unknown said...

Sealer

Not dealer

Carol Wulf said...

Jack 0 lantern looks great! I love how you did his eyes! From a gourd to a little creature with a heart! So simple and so cute. Love it!

Barbara Moore said...

Hi Dana! I would use a sealer on this, yes. I always take pictures without any sealer on it so that there aren't too many shiny spots when you photograph it. Haha You can purchase Plaid paints everywhere, from Walmart to Hobby Lobby and Michaels. There's more selection at Hobby Lobby and Michaels though.

Barbara Moore said...

You can only buy the Proxxon tools online or from a dealer such as me. Yes I'm a Proxxon dealer and carry their tools😃

Unknown said...

Looks good!

Misty said...

Love the Jack O Lantern I agree with Carol that
leaving part of the eyes in was a great idea.
He is as cut as a button. Great job. As always,
excellent directions.

Steph Ackerman said...

This is fabulous.

Barbara Moore said...

Thank you for all the comments. They really do inspire.