Wednesday, August 1, 2018

How to create a tombstone with the Hot Wire Cutter

As we head toward the end of summer, it's not too early to think about Halloween.  Steph Ackerman here today to show you how to create a tombstone using the Proxxon Hot Wire Cutter.


I love decorating for Halloween and realized I didn't have a tombstone!!  So I decided to use a sheet of Smoothfoam with my Hot Wire Cutter to create a tombstone.  So quick and easy and so much fun to create.

Supplies:
Proxxon Hot Wire Cutter
Smoothfoam
Plaid Paints - Delta Ceramcoat - Ink Blot, Antique White, Charcoal
Folk Art Coastal Texture Paints - Sand Dollar, Seal Grey


I began by drawing the tombstone on a sheet of Smoothfoam.


Using the Hot Wire Cutter I then cut the pattern.



Next I painted the tombstone with Coastal Texture Paint in Sand Dollar and Seal Gray, mixing the colors together.  Then I put it aside to dry.


Once dry, I used the Hot Wire Cutter again to create the "cracks".  With no specific plan in mind, I created assorted "cracks" around the tombstone.


Check out how defined the cracks are and how small I was able to cut them.


For definition, I paint the cracks with black and white paints.  Using a stencil, I added RIP down the center with blue paint.


To give it a more aged appearance, I added more black paint around the edges and used a baby wipe to blend it in.


Finally, I added some mesh along one side creating a cobweb effect down the side.


What do you think?

I love using the Hot Wire Cutter for projects like this.

Thanks for stopping by.

Steph

3 comments:

Misty said...

Cute set up Steph Love the RIP sign. Nice work.

Nell said...

Very creative, you did a great job.

Barbara Moore said...

I like it Steph and I know there are people who would love to have this is their decor for Halloween.