Saturday, August 11, 2018

How to make a Gourd bowl with Pine Needle Coiling



This was a project that involved several techniques. I really enjoy working with gourds as you can probably tell by my posts. It's a great hobby or Artistic endeavor.

The Supplies Needed for this Project are:

Napkins
Waxed Linen Thread
Needle
Alcohol Ink (caramel)
Assorted Beads
Sealer


Mark your gourd so that it sets level and cut it open. Clean out the inside "stuff". Your Proxxon Jig Saw will make this job very easy.


Unfortunately the operator of the saw has to stay on the line. Haha! So when something like this happens you then use your Proxxon Delta Sander to sand it down to the marks that you made.

Drill holes around the rim of your gourd, cover the outside of your gourd with alcohol ink and then stitch your pine needles onto the gourd rim with the waxed linen thread. The needles that I used for this project were dyed by me at a different time.

As you can see from this photo, I decopodged the inside of the gourd with napkins that I had. I did the decopodging prior to drilling the holes on the gourd and coiling the pine needles. 


I finished the gourd off by threading some beads onto the gourd and tying them off and then sealing the gourd. The pictures that I take don't have sealer on them so that they don't shine when taking a picture. I have become very fond of decoodging the insides of my gourds because I think it gives it a more finished appearance.

Check out all of the wonderful tools that Proxxon has to offer and maybe purchase some for yourself! The folks at Plaid have many amazing products with Mod Podge being one of them and the Mod Podge line has many different types. 

Please leave me a comment below. I do read them.

Barbara


5 comments:

Misty said...

Barbara I love this project, It is lovely and
I have yet to try pine needles it looks so tedious.
But you tempt me, I also like to decorate the
insides of bowls. Concur, it give a finished look.
Looking forward to this next Friday. Been ages since
we have seen each other.
Love your bowl.

Carol Wulf said...

That came out really pretty. The decoupaged inside really adds to it. Nice work!

Vicki Bean said...

I love it! Very nice!

Barbara Moore said...


Pretty cool!I really like it!

Anonymous said...


Actually, I said that. This blog has become a little sticky! Marsha