Friday, August 17, 2018

How to make a cat address sign

Hi everybody.   Today we have an easy project.  We are going to make a simple address sign that can be placed outside near your driveway or mailbox to help people find you, and your home.

Previously when I worked as a home health nurse in rural Arkansas I traveled many  back roads.  I often felt lucky to find the right road let alone the right house.  Many homes are down long driveways or private roads, or they might be hidden in the trees.  There are so many homes without addresses.  Often it was a guessing game and occasionally I got it wrong.  This was funny?....yep most of the time,  but scary on a few occasions too.  I  believe every house should have a clear address sign, for emergency vehicles (and visiting nurses),  if nothing else.  Anyway, I chose the cat shape because, cats NEVER get lost!   Case in point.  When we had kittens we found them  new homes,  But Mama cat brought them back from about 6 crazy twisty miles away.  Not once but twice.  So once again we have cats.  💗  
Any how, enough of my rambling story.    Now on with the project!

Supplies:
Wood.  I used a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood.
Paint.  I used plaid paints,  black, sap green, white, turquois, pink,and lime green.
Sealer. I used krylon crystal clear triple thick.
Old wire clothes hanger
Equipment:
drill, with 1/8" drill bitM
glue.  I used liquid nails clear seal  (silicone glue)
wire cutter

The first thing to do is to draw your pattern onto your wood.  I saw this pattern in a coloring book, then just drew it a little bit bigger.  Size is up to you and your piece of wood.  My cat is about 16" tall and is easy to see from the road.


Next I cut it out using the proxxon mini bandsaw  This is a great tool!  Cuts like butter!
Then I sanded it with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander  This makes quick work of smoothing out the rough edges!  It's easy to hold tool.  Small but very powerful!


Then it was time to paint.   I painted most of the cat black, then added my eyes, ears, whiskers, and the street number using Plaid paints.  It goes on easy and colors are vivid!  When it was all dry, I sprayed it all over with a sealing coat of Krylon Crystal Clear triple thick so it can withstand the weather outside.


I drilled 2 holes in the bottom about 1 1/4" deep using my 1/8" drill bit.  I cut 2 pieces of the coat hanger about 7" long.  I dipped the ends of the coat hanger pieces in the silicone glue and inserted them into the holes.  These are my stakes so the cat stays where I put him.



There he is at the entrance to our driveway.  Easy for anyone on the road to see!



This was so easy, and fun.  Hopefully, also helpful for anyone coming to our house!  I don't know a single person who enjoys being lost!

Thanks for visiting!
Thanks again, Terri, Proxxon toolsPlaid Paints.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute another project on the list to do bj

Misty said...

Cute and our yard sure needed one address to get
in the driveway. Multi purpose, good job.
The house thanks you too. Haha

Nell said...

Carol, I enjoyed reading your story as well and seeing how you made this cute and useful project. It's the cats meow LOL

Cindy said...

That is so neat Carol! I like the idea of using an animal for the sign.