Friday, August 10, 2018

How to make a thread spool holder for your wall




 To all of our blogging friends, This one is for the quilters and craft folks that sew.

This project can be adjusted to fit your needs. Make it as small or large as you like.




Supplies

3/4" x 1 1/2" x 15 1/2" pine board
(3) 3/8" dowels (each 12") long
wood glue
(6)  1 1/4" wood screws


Equipment:
Proxxon mini table saw
Proxxon mini band saw
Proxxon mini scroll saw  (optional, for fancy work)
Proxxon OZI/E delta sander
Kapro measure mate 313
drill
drill bits  5/8" 3/8" 1/8"






The first thing I did was to cut my 3 1/2" board in half lengthwise to make 2 boards each measuring approximately 1 3/4" wide.  I used the kapro measure mate 313 to find the center of the board.  Look how easy is.  Simply line up the tool so that each side of zero measures the same.   Most of the time this is way easier than doing the math.   Nobody really likes to work with fractions.... do they?



Once it is marked I took it over to the Proxxon mini table saw and cut it.  Just set up the fence 1 3/4" from the blade.  Or set the mark up to the blade and set your fence to it.  (all this is done of course before plugging in the saw).  Safety first.  You want to keep all your fingers!






Be sure to use the push stick to guide your piece along the fence.















Next, I cut 5 1/2" off each of the 2 lengths of board. This leaves me with 2 pieces 10" each.  These will be my sides  Then I cut the shorter pieces in half lengthwise.  These are going to be my top bottom and 2 middle pieces .  It really doesn't matter how much you cut off, this length will be how wide your hanger will be.  .  Note IF you wanted a taller hanger, just start with a longer piece of wood. (of course then you would also make more middle pieces)  Cut as many as tiers as you want or as many as the board will hold.  Customize to your needs.


These are the pieces so far.

I wanted a little decorative edge which was really easy to do on the Proxxon mini scroll saw.
This is optional.  Square is fine too.



 

 

   

I marked a center line down each side, using the Kapro measure mate 313.
This is where I will attach the top bottom and center pieces. 
 
 But first lets drill some holes for the dowels that will hold the thread spools.  My short lengths allowed for only 3 spools per tier.  That means this will hold 12 spools.  I used a 3/8 inch drill bit in my drill and made  holes approx. 5/8" deep.  (halfway through the wood), evenly spaced across each tier so that the spools will fit.   I cut the dowels into 2 1/2 inch lengths.   I sanded everything  with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  Wonderful tool.


I measured the sides and lined up my tiers.  On the outside edge I used my 5/8" drill to make a small countersink hole then drilled my pilot hole through the side and tier with a 1/8" drill.  I don't want my wood to split.




 Before putting it all together you might want to paint it.  I used  mushroom color from Plaid Paint Home décor/chalk Mushroom. I wanted the thread colors to be the focal point.




Then glue the dowels into the holes that we drilled and let dry well.




Now screw the sides to the tiers.  I tilted my tiers so that my spools will be easy off and on.


 
Hangers are your choice.  I used saw toothed hangers on this one.  So with 2 screws I can attach it

to my wall.   

Thanks to  all of the companies that support our Blogs. Proxxon, Plaid Paints and Kapro Measuring tools. Please visit their web sites and check them out.

Terri Sproul is our point of contact and we think she is  tops as a leader and mentor for Proxxon Design Team. Thank you so much Terri.
I should have my glasses next week and I want to make sure I thank Carol for all of the help and weight she carried during this procedure. I could not have maintained or done this without her .

Until next time take care and enjoy Life.








8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How handy, perfect for people who sew, quilt, or mend. I love it.

Anonymous said...

great idea so easy to find what color and no tangles bj

Nell said...

This is a great idea. My thread is always a tangled mess.

Unknown said...

We both love it Misty

Barbara Moore said...

Nifty idea Misty!

Carol Wulf said...

I need a big one of those, oh and a big wall to put it on too. This is a really nice project, and looks easy to make too. I love organizational helps.

Terry B said...

Misty, this thread holder is really nice. Something everyone can use, from everyday sewing to just mending. I love it. I am amazed at the ideas you come up with and then so beautifully put them together! Great job. Terry

Misty said...

I really appreciate each of you, and thank you for
your time to visit and leaving a comment.
Thank you so much.