Friday, August 24, 2018

How to Make a TTD Messanger Board


Since I am a most forgetful person I need to make list to stay on track, Things To Do, TTD! 
The art room has no room for more papers or books.
So, my solution was to make this board and hang on the back of a door.
 It is a chalkboard and a note board in one.
This would work nicely for a child's room, hubby's shop, or any room someplace
to post chores for the family.
tinytooltime.blogspot.com









Tools used in making this board.














This is my very favorite tool. This sander is a dream to hold to use and does a bang up job and speedy too.
This board was sanded to prepare it for a smooth chalkboard.




Kapro Measure Mate 313
Kapro pro laser nail gripper 810


Stay on target, this makes hanging anything, or putting in key holes
 a breeze. Level and Laser.




Supplies Used to make Board

Old frame thrift shop .55cents.
Can of Chalk paint
Pk of corkboard
Paint (optional)
Glue
Screws and Hangers
Chalk



The first thing I did was to cut the wood piece to the size of the frame.  I used a 1/8" piece of scrap plywood and cut it to 14 x 18"   This will fit perfect into the frame.  


The next thing I did was to lay my piece of cork on the wood where I will eventually glue it and draw a border around it.   I am going to paint my chalkboard paint in the areas that will not be covered by the cork.    I give it two good coats and let it dry well


Next I spray the back of my cork with spray adhesive fix it tothe wood in the area I had marked off.  I think it already looks good but I am going to add some extras. 

To make a chalk tray, I cut a piece of wood to the size I wanted.   I don't want the chalk rolling off so I am going to make a groove into this wood, leaving a lip.  To do this I first removed the blade cover and splitter on my proxxon mini table saw.   I set the height about 1/4" high and I set the fence approx. 1/4" from the blade.  Using the push stick I ran the wood over the blade.  I scooched the fence just a little bit further out  and ran the wood over the blade again, and repeated moving the blade and sawing a few more times until I had cut myself a little trough.   I am going to paint this black so it matches my chalkboard. I glued this on then added some screws from the back for strength.



I cut some 1/4" plywood strips and them painted to match my frame to surround my cork so the edges don't crumble with use.  I simply glued them on.




I used my KAPRO Measure mate 313 to find the center of my picture frame so I would know where to add the 2 saw tooth picture hangers to the back. 
 I used my proxxon rotary tool to predrill some starter holes.  This frame is oak and very hard.



I used the KAPRO nail gripper 810 to mark a level line on the door where I wanted to hang my message board so it would be level. 
That sure makes it easy!




There it is, hanging perfectly straight on the door. 

                           I hope you can use this project it was not at all expensive or hard to make.
                                           Already have found it most handy.

                                            I would like to thank our sponsors


    Proxxon Tools. Has been a strong supporter of this blog and makes great tools for crafting.
    KAPRO Makes neat tools for leveling, measuring and staying on line, keeping things straight.


  Terri Sproul our liaison for these sponsors and works out any concerns we have.
                   Thank you Terri for your mentoring and keeping us on track.


  Then you  are those who faithfully follow these blogs and keep us yapping lol.
                   We do   appreciate  all of you and your comments.
  We would love to hear suggestions as to what you would like to see us make.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and that was easy to do I think Its a great idea and I really like your leveling tool that is really the tool to get bj

Nell said...

Nice project that is very useful. Good idea to use chalk board and cork together and the frame makes for a neat look. Great job !

charlotte fletcher@roma land woodcrafts said...

Another winner! You are clever! 😉😁

Anonymous said...

great idea and very handy.

Carol Wulf said...

That is really helpful and it looks great. I know I get things done much better with a reminder. I get satisfaction checking them off. Fantastic idea! If I had kids I would make them each one!!